sky broadband cdrom

Old February 27th 07, 05:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

Default sky broadband cdrom

Received my Sky router today.
In it they include a cd rom. Is this for proprietary connection software?
I use Vista so it may or may not install.
Don't really want to setup any dialling software in the style of BTYahoo.

Old February 27th 07, 06:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Keith Willcocks

"Beck" [email protected] wrote in message
Received my Sky router today.
In it they include a cd rom. Is this for proprietary connection software?
I use Vista so it may or may not install.
Don't really want to setup any dialling software in the style of BTYahoo.

On BTY you only needed the dial up bit for a broadband modem (i.e. the frog)
because the frog was powered by the pc's USB port and when the PC is turned
off, so is the modem.. With a router, using an ethernet connection, you
don't need the BTY CD at all, I assume the same applies with a Sky router.
Bear in mind also that your connection date is normally stored in a
modem/router whereas this is not the case with the frog.
--
Keith Willcocks

Old February 27th 07, 06:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Keith Willcocks

"Keith Willcocks" wrote in message

"Beck" [email protected] wrote in message
Received my Sky router today.
In it they include a cd rom. Is this for proprietary connection
software? I use Vista so it may or may not install.
Don't really want to setup any dialling software in the style of BTYahoo.

On BTY you only needed the dial up bit for a broadband modem (i.e. the
frog) because the frog was powered by the pc's USB port and when the PC is
turned off, so is the modem.. With a router, using an ethernet
connection, you don't need the BTY CD at all, I assume the same applies
with a Sky router. Bear in mind also that your connection date is normally
stored in a modem/router whereas this is not the case with the frog.

That should have been connection data (name, password).
--
Keith Willcocks

Old February 27th 07, 06:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

[...]

So from that I would imagine the cd is not required. ?

Old February 27th 07, 07:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"Beck" [email protected] wrote in message
Received my Sky router today.
In it they include a cd rom. Is this for proprietary connection software?
I use Vista so it may or may not install.
Don't really want to setup any dialling software in the style of BTYahoo.

You just plug the router in and then connect using the wireless or the
Ethernet on your PC.
You don't need anything installing if you already have the network card in
the PC.

If you are using wireless the router has security enabled.. the key is
printed on the bottom and on a little card in the box.

Log onto the router and change the default password ASAP (login is admin ,
pw is sky ).
If you don't change it then you are running a serious security risk.

Old February 27th 07, 08:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Keith Willcocks wrote:

That should have been connection data (name, password).

Sky don't tell you the username/password for broadband connection. It is
masked in the router so you can't find it out and use another router.
There is a 'hack' to find it out.
Just look through this group for link to it.

However as Denis says later, you should change the router login/password
a.s.a.p.

The key for the wireless security is on the card they sent you.

Mike

Old February 27th 07, 08:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

m wrote:
Keith Willcocks wrote:

That should have been connection data (name, password).

Sky don't tell you the username/password for broadband connection.
It is masked in the router so you can't find it out and use another
router. There is a 'hack' to find it out.
Just look through this group for link to it.

However as Denis says later, you should change the router
login/password a.s.a.p.

Wouldn't be to sure about that as SKY do plan to remotely connect to
their routers (for upgrade purposes of course).

Can't you just see the scene now, the day after they supposedly
upgrade all their routers & 50% of them will have died in the process,
would make for good publicity, NOT...

Old February 27th 07, 11:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"kraftee" wrote in message
m wrote:
Keith Willcocks wrote:

That should have been connection data (name, password).

Sky don't tell you the username/password for broadband connection.
It is masked in the router so you can't find it out and use another
router. There is a 'hack' to find it out.
Just look through this group for link to it.

However as Denis says later, you should change the router
login/password a.s.a.p.

Wouldn't be to sure about that as SKY do plan to remotely connect to
their routers (for upgrade purposes of course).

Can't you just see the scene now, the day after they supposedly upgrade
all their routers & 50% of them will have died in the process, would make
for good publicity, NOT...

There are known security risks if you don't change it.
At least one "drive by" attack that can modify the routers dns settings to
misdirect the users to fake sites.

Old February 27th 07, 11:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

[email protected] wrote:
"kraftee" wrote in message
m wrote:
Keith Willcocks wrote:

That should have been connection data (name, password).

Sky don't tell you the username/password for broadband connection.
It is masked in the router so you can't find it out and use
another router. There is a 'hack' to find it out.
Just look through this group for link to it.

However as Denis says later, you should change the router
login/password a.s.a.p.

Wouldn't be to sure about that as SKY do plan to remotely connect
to their routers (for upgrade purposes of course).

Can't you just see the scene now, the day after they supposedly
upgrade all their routers & 50% of them will have died in the
process, would make for good publicity, NOT...

There are known security risks if you don't change it.
At least one "drive by" attack that can modify the routers dns
settings to misdirect the users to fake sites.

Which would happen no matter what you put in as a password. So what
are you really saying? Don't use routers as they can be hacked, go
back to the USB modem.......I don't think so.

If they (who ever 'they' are) were doing a proper drive by they would
use a backdoor, which exist in the DG834GT , Sky has even used one on
me already. I turned off all remote access when I first configured
mine, checked it a few weeks later & it had been turned back on, but
tied to one IP which traces to SKY & no I haven't done a reset, if I
did one of those the whole network would fail to access anything
outside the LAN.

As for DNS servers, I don't use the one programed into the router as I
have a list of 6 fully working ones open to public use, which is more
than what has been said about SKYs single one