ADSL2+

Old February 27th 07, 06:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

Default ADSL2+

From what I understand, ADSL2+ can double the speed of broadband.

Just wondering if this is like the original ADSL where you had to be a
certain distance from the exchange - 3km.

I am approx 6km from my exchange and BT have set my line to 2mb, is adsl2+ a
reality for me at this early stage?

Old February 27th 07, 06:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Beck wrote:

From what I understand, ADSL2+ can double the speed of broadband.

Just wondering if this is like the original ADSL where you had to be a
certain distance from the exchange - 3km.

Yes, the advantage is mainly for those close to the exchange. I could get 16
Mbps for example it seems @ 800m.

I am approx 6km from my exchange and BT have set my line to 2mb, is adsl2+ a
reality for me at this early stage?

No. You're damn lucky IMHO to get 2Mbps @ 6 km in fact ! Don't look a gift horse
in the mouth.

Graham

Old February 27th 07, 06:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"Eeyore" wrote in message

Beck wrote:

From what I understand, ADSL2+ can double the speed of broadband.

Just wondering if this is like the original ADSL where you had to be a
certain distance from the exchange - 3km.

Yes, the advantage is mainly for those close to the exchange. I could get
16
Mbps for example it seems @ 800m.

I am approx 6km from my exchange and BT have set my line to 2mb, is
adsl2+ a
reality for me at this early stage?

No. You're damn lucky IMHO to get 2Mbps @ 6 km in fact ! Don't look a gift
horse
in the mouth.

I am not begrudging it, I spent a long time on 512kb/sec so I am happy, I am
ust wondering about how the new one works.

Old February 27th 07, 07:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"Eeyore" wrote in message

Beck wrote:

From what I understand, ADSL2+ can double the speed of broadband.

Just wondering if this is like the original ADSL where you had to be a
certain distance from the exchange - 3km.

Yes, the advantage is mainly for those close to the exchange. I could get
16
Mbps for example it seems @ 800m.

Distance is not the deciding factor.
It is the amount of crosstalk you get from other users.

I get 15+M with an attenuation of 35dB so I am not 800m from the exchange.

You will suffer if you share a cable with other ADSL users for a long
distance.
More so if you have the wrong pair as some pairs interfere more than others.

I am approx 6km from my exchange and BT have set my line to 2mb, is
adsl2+ a
reality for me at this early stage?

What noise margin do you have?

Old February 27th 07, 07:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"[email protected]" wrote in message

I am approx 6km from my exchange and BT have set my line to 2mb, is
adsl2+ a
reality for me at this early stage?

What noise margin do you have?

It varies form 59db up to 63db according to my router, so I am very lucky
indeed to get 2mb.

Old February 27th 07, 08:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"Beck" [email protected] wrote in message

"[email protected]" wrote in message

I am approx 6km from my exchange and BT have set my line to 2mb, is
adsl2+ a
reality for me at this early stage?

What noise margin do you have?

It varies form 59db up to 63db according to my router, so I am very lucky
indeed to get 2mb.

That would be the attenuation and not the noise margin.
ADSL2+ usually works to about 6dB noise margin.

Old February 27th 07, 08:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"[email protected]" wrote in message

"Beck" [email protected] wrote in message

"[email protected]" wrote in message

I am approx 6km from my exchange and BT have set my line to 2mb, is
adsl2+ a
reality for me at this early stage?

What noise margin do you have?

It varies form 59db up to 63db according to my router, so I am very lucky
indeed to get 2mb.

That would be the attenuation and not the noise margin.
ADSL2+ usually works to about 6dB noise margin.

Connection Status Connected
Upstream Rate (Kbps) 448
Downstream Rate (Kbps) 2720
US Margin 18
DS Margin 4
Modulation MMODE
LOS Errors 0
DS Line Attenuation 61
US Line Attenuation 63
Path Mode Fast Path

Old February 27th 07, 08:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

"[email protected]" wrote:

"Eeyore" wrote in message
Beck wrote:

From what I understand, ADSL2+ can double the speed of broadband.

Just wondering if this is like the original ADSL where you had to be a
certain distance from the exchange - 3km.

Yes, the advantage is mainly for those close to the exchange. I could get
16 Mbps for example it seems @ 800m.

Distance is not the deciding factor.
It is the amount of crosstalk you get from other users.

So why do the charts have distance on the X axis ?

Graham

Old February 27th 07, 09:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
CheekyMonkey

[email protected] wrote:

Distance is not the deciding factor.
It is the amount of crosstalk you get from other users.

No, the SNR is the deciding factor, of which distance and crosstalk are
both very important.
Old February 27th 07, 11:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"Eeyore" wrote in message

"[email protected]" wrote:

"Eeyore" wrote in message
Beck wrote:

From what I understand, ADSL2+ can double the speed of broadband.

Just wondering if this is like the original ADSL where you had to be a
certain distance from the exchange - 3km.

Yes, the advantage is mainly for those close to the exchange. I could
get
16 Mbps for example it seems @ 800m.

Distance is not the deciding factor.
It is the amount of crosstalk you get from other users.

So why do the charts have distance on the X axis ?

Because its difficult to measure the crosstalk so an approximation is made
based on the line length of typical lines.
Just make sure the table is for UK cable as they are worse than US cables as
they have less twist in them.