Old February 21st 18, 08:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

Default BT HH4 speed issue

"Graham J" wrote in message
news
Woody wrote:
A friend who is a farmer also runs a small caravan site and has
provided
free wi-fi for his guests. He is at the end of almost 3000m of
(mainly)
overhead line and so the download speed is slow.

When we arrived on site last month it was doing almost 1.6Mb. We
then had
two nights of heavy rain and frighteningly high winds. When I
checked again
the download was only 650K but the upload was unchanged at about
760K. The
farm is in East Somerset: Speedtest using Vodafone servers at
Newbury gives
about 19mS ping.

When we revisited this month the speed was unchanged - 650K and
760K. Today
I power cycled the HH4 and within 10 minutes it was doing 1.53Mb:
now, some
6 hours later it is doing just over 1.8Mb with upload still at
760K.

Two questions:

Should the HH4 have retrained to the higher speed without need for
power
cycle intervention, should I try to get himself to use a better
router, or
is this a BTOR issue? All lines incidentally are through BT
Business.

My experience is that many routers do need a power cycle or an
interruption in ADSL sync to force a retrain. A better router may
improve things. The Vigor range can be programmed to reboot
themselves on a schedule, so that might allow for automatic recovery
from such problems.

The overhead carries four pairs all of which are active and carry
their own
broadband. BT dslchecker indicates two lines (those used for the
campers
and
the domestic B/B) should be able to do 1-3Mb, the third line (used
for the
farm business) should be able to do 2.5-3.5Mb, and the fourth line
(used by
his son's business) should be able to handle 2-6Mb - and indeed
this seems
to be the case, today the latter line was doing 5.86Mb. It baffles
me that
four lines all running the same route and in the same cable (there
are no
streetcabs on this exchange) can have such speed variation. They
are all
direct exchange lines (fibre is not available on this exchange and
there is
no LLU) and have a single U/G and O/H cable feed. About six houses
in a
hamlet that also use the same feed (split at a pole-top DP) I am
told also
suffer from slow speeds. For the record I have done quiet line
tests on the
campers line and on the high-speed (!) line: the campers line is (a
bit)
lower audio level than the other and has noticeably more hiss on it
but
neither has any crackling and both ring without problem.

Anyone any suggestions on either or both questions?

1. Get all the internal wiring up to scratch: faceplate filter in
proper master socket, no legacy extension wiring connected anywhere
between master socket and exchange (such unterminated stubs can be
quite common on farm installations); all necessary extensions wired
correctly to the faceplate filter.

The line comes in direct from the overhead (new BT install) to the
NTE5, there are no other line connections to it and no phone either.
It is fitted with an iPlate3 filter.

2. If a line is ever audibly noisy report it to the voice service
provider (exaggerate if necessary, say it so bad you can't hear the
other party). Don't mention broadband - it only confuses them.

Audio IMO is slightly low and there is quite noticable hiss but no
crackle on a quiet line test. The second line (house) has such bad
crackle that they don't use it preferring to stick to mobiles. I have
suggested reporting it as audio noise as I know BT do not guarantee
anything else.

3. For diagnostics use a router that supports RouterStats,
see: http://www.vwlowen.co.uk/internet/files.htm
... and monitor the line performance.

The router is as supplied by BT and for the sake of mental comfort I
think our friend would prefer to stay with that so that it is all in
BT's hands.

4. Change ISP to one that will provide proper technical support.
This means (given that it is a business) either Zen Internet or
Andrews & Arnold. If the performance is anything less than expected
report it and follow the faultfinding procedures requested by their
technical support.

He does not want to change ISP as he is on quite a good deal. There is
no LLU on the exchange - indeed broadband to the exchange is on co-ax,
there is no fibre.

It may be worth finding a local support business familiar with
resolving broadband issues - if you can be more specific about the
location perhaps this ng can make a recommendation.

The exchange is Nunney, near Frome in E. Somerset.

SuperfastDevonandSomerset (Gigaclear) are installing fibre for BT in
the area and our friend has been told by BT that fibre will be passing
the end of his lane later this year - which of course means nothing -
but I think he wants to hang on. The Gigaclear web site indicates it
could be up to 3 years before fibre gets to his area.

He could of course go 4G: there is a 3 tower within about 900m LoS
that carries EE4G but only 3G on 3; there is Vodafone 4G on an
electricity pylon about 600m away, and O2 4G which I suspect is from a
hilltop site about 1.5Km away, all of which would work.

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com