Sky "max" package - any recommendations ?

Old February 27th 07, 11:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

Default Sky "max" package - any recommendations ?

I know most punters seem to go for the throttled "connect" or the "mid"
£26 package, but does anyone have experience of the "unlimited" Max (up
to 16Mbit) package (£31 per month) ?

TIA :-)
Old February 27th 07, 11:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

Colin Wilson wrote:
I know most punters seem to go for the throttled "connect" or the
"mid" £26 package, but does anyone have experience of the
"unlimited" Max (up to 16Mbit) package (£31 per month) ?

TIA :-)

SKY Max is £10 per month, well that's what they are charging me
anyway, with a free install (which I would advise you not to have)

Old February 28th 07, 12:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

SKY Max is £10 per month, well that's what they are charging me
anyway, with a free install (which I would advise you not to have)

I was referring to the typical overall package when I mentioned £31 :-}

Would you recommend it though, have you noticed any traffic shaping
taking place ?

Their hardware seems to be touted as wireless only - can you plonk it on
any phone outlet like a regular router and wire directly to the back of
it with an RJ45 rather than going wireless ? (either i'm paranoid about
security or a complete luddite, i'm unsure which !)

(it looks like i'd have to ditch my existing router, as it only appears
to support 8Mbit downstream, 1Mbit upstream)
Old February 28th 07, 09:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"Colin Wilson" o.uk wrote
in message t...
Their hardware seems to be touted as wireless only -

It has four 10/100 Ethernet ports too.
You can turn the wireless off if you want but it is delivered with security
enabled unlike most routers.

Old February 28th 07, 08:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

It has four 10/100 Ethernet ports too.
You can turn the wireless off if you want but it is delivered with security
enabled unlike most routers.

Cheers

Do you know of any traffic shaping on the "max" package ?
Old February 28th 07, 08:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

"Colin Wilson" o.uk
wrote in message
t...
It has four 10/100 Ethernet ports too.
You can turn the wireless off if you want but it is delivered with
security
enabled unlike most routers.

Cheers

Do you know of any traffic shaping on the "max" package ?

Haven't felt any yet, the only problem I experience is that the router
dosen't adjust it's sync rate to the conditions. During the day I can
get a lovely 6.5-7Mb sync perfectly stable until around 17:00 then
everything just stops, check the stats & the SNR is below 6dB, soft
reboot the router drops the speed to fill my available bandwidth & I
may have to this more than once. The easy way around this is to find
the minimum speed you get (in the evening/night) & then just leave the
router on 24/7 it is rock solid no dropping out or loss of sync. If
for some reason you do loose your connection, like I did a couple off
days ago when they changed my pole, you have to go thru the process
again.

The tip I got from the forums is to turn of UPNP on the router, in
some cases, for some reason it can cause your router to be unstable

Old February 28th 07, 10:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gaz

Colin Wilson wrote:
I know most punters seem to go for the throttled "connect" or the "mid"
£26 package, but does anyone have experience of the "unlimited" Max (up
to 16Mbit) package (£31 per month) ?

TIA :-)

I am on the max £10 a month, excellent, i have pushed it really hard on a
few months, no problem, nearly always get full speed on newsgroup binary
downloads

Gaz

Old February 28th 07, 11:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

Do you know of any traffic shaping on the "max" package ?
Haven't felt any yet, the only problem I experience is that the router
dosen't adjust it's sync rate to the conditions.

Would you actually recommend them given your experience so far ?

I'm sick of Pipex, and this would be cheaper than Be :-}
Old February 28th 07, 11:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

I am on the max £10 a month, excellent, i have pushed it really hard on a
few months, no problem, nearly always get full speed on newsgroup binary
downloads

Thanks - do they actually include newsgroup access, or are you paying
for it seperately ?
Old March 1st 07, 11:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"Colin Wilson" o.uk wrote
in message t...

Thanks - do they actually include newsgroup access, or are you paying
for it seperately ?

No news server on Sky.

datemas.de do text for free.
astra do binaries and text [email protected] ~£14 no time limits.