Fax over VoIP

Old February 28th 07, 04:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Mark BR

Default Fax over VoIP

I know it is old technology but,

Is it possible to find software that can send/receive a fax over VoIP - I
assume it is technically possible and all one has to do is find the correct
software.

Mark BR

Old February 28th 07, 07:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jon Farmer

Mark BR wrote:
I know it is old technology but,

Is it possible to find software that can send/receive a fax over VoIP - I
assume it is technically possible and all one has to do is find the correct
software.

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-FoIP

Regards

Jon

Old February 28th 07, 11:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Mark BR

Jon Farmer wrote:
Mark BR wrote:
I know it is old technology but,

Is it possible to find software that can send/receive a fax over
VoIP - I assume it is technically possible and all one has to do is
find the correct software.

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-FoIP

Regards

Jon

So the answer is no, you can't

Thanks

Mark BR

Old February 28th 07, 12:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Tim

Mark BR wrote:
So the answer is no, you can't

Yes you can, but it requires careful doing.

Tim
Old February 28th 07, 10:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Herman

"Tim" wrote in message
Mark BR wrote:
So the answer is no, you can't

Yes you can, but it requires careful doing.

Tim

I use voipcheap for sending occasional faxes with a Fritzbox. I have not
changed any settings to accomodate fax.

HOWEVER, expect it to take multiple attempts and a lot longer than you would
expect. I find it OK for faxes every now and again but nothing more. There
is a previous thread in the group about Vonage's "dedicated" FoIP service,
but it doesn't sound like it's any different to my setup. I think they call
this emerging technology, but converting data to analogue audio to IP
packets and then back again sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.

Old March 5th 07, 02:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
ts86

"Herman" wrote in message
"Tim" wrote in message
Mark BR wrote:
So the answer is no, you can't

Yes you can, but it requires careful doing.

Tim

I use voipcheap for sending occasional faxes with a Fritzbox. I have not
changed any settings to accomodate fax.

HOWEVER, expect it to take multiple attempts and a lot longer than you
would expect. I find it OK for faxes every now and again but nothing
more. There is a previous thread in the group about Vonage's "dedicated"
FoIP service, but it doesn't sound like it's any different to my setup. I
think they call this emerging technology, but converting data to analogue
audio to IP packets and then back again sounds like a recipe for disaster
to me.

Someone just needs to write software that emulates a fax modem and then
simply connects to a SIP provider to make the call and send the fax.

Old March 5th 07, 11:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Paul Hayes

ts86 wrote:

Someone just needs to write software that emulates a fax modem and then
simply connects to a SIP provider to make the call and send the fax.

More like someone needs to write a working t.38 implementation for
Asterisk. Software that emulates a fax modem and then sends the data
over an IP connection using SIP will just run into all the same problems
an ATA with a fax machine plugged into it using g.711 codec currently
does. The problem is a fax transmission relies on near-perfect timing
at either end which is fine with analogue phone lines or ISDN. But IP
(and therefore the Internet) is a best-effort service which was designed
from the ground up with little or no consideration to synchronised
timing at both ends of a connection.

cheers,
Paul.