Internet usage: byte count

Old February 28th 07, 04:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Jay

Default Internet usage: byte count

I have a Netgear DG834G wireless router.

It produces lots of interesting statistics. Do any of them indicate how
much data transfer there's been since it was last rebooted? Searching
through Google suggests the answer is number of packets * MTU.

So, currently 36631 packets have gone out and 46728 have come it. MTU
is set to 1458.

So, 36631 * 1458 = 53,407,998 outgoing bytes and
46728 * 1458 = 68,129,424 incoming bytes.
--
Martin Jay
Phone/SMS: +44 7740 191877
Old February 28th 07, 05:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 16:54:00 UTC, Martin Jay
wrote:

I have a Netgear DG834G wireless router.

It produces lots of interesting statistics. Do any of them indicate how
much data transfer there's been since it was last rebooted? Searching
through Google suggests the answer is number of packets * MTU.

So, currently 36631 packets have gone out and 46728 have come it. MTU
is set to 1458.

So, 36631 * 1458 = 53,407,998 outgoing bytes and
46728 * 1458 = 68,129,424 incoming bytes.

In a word, no. Packets have fixed header (and sometimes trailer). The
payload can vary, and be anything up to the MTU. Even that is a
simplification.
http://www.voipinside.net
Old February 28th 07, 05:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DodgyDunk

On 28 Feb, 16:54, Martin Jay wrote:
I have a Netgear DG834G wireless router.

It produces lots of interesting statistics. Do any of them indicate how
much data transfer there's been since it was last rebooted? Searching
through Google suggests the answer is number of packets * MTU.

So, currently 36631 packets have gone out and 46728 have come it. MTU
is set to 1458.

So, 36631 * 1458 = 53,407,998 outgoing bytes and
46728 * 1458 = 68,129,424 incoming bytes.
--
Martin Jay
Phone/SMS: +44 7740 191877

Have you found the "debug mode/telnet" trick?

Enable debug mode using http://192.168.0.1/setup.cgi?todo=debug
Open a cmd window, type: telnet 192.168.0.1
In telnet session, type cat proc/avalanche/avsar_modem_stats

Look for Rx Total Bytes

Old February 28th 07, 05:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Jay

In message , Bob Eager
writes
wrote:

I have a Netgear DG834G wireless router.

It produces lots of interesting statistics. Do any of them indicate how
much data transfer there's been since it was last rebooted? Searching
through Google suggests the answer is number of packets * MTU.

So, currently 36631 packets have gone out and 46728 have come it. MTU
is set to 1458.

So, 36631 * 1458 = 53,407,998 outgoing bytes and
46728 * 1458 = 68,129,424 incoming bytes.

In a word, no. Packets have fixed header (and sometimes trailer). The
payload can vary, and be anything up to the MTU. Even that is a
simplification.

Ah, yes. Of course. I suppose the M in MTU does suggest that.
--
Martin Jay
Phone/SMS: +44 7740 191877
Old February 28th 07, 06:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 17:42:11 UTC, Martin Jay
wrote:

In message , Bob Eager
writes
wrote:

I have a Netgear DG834G wireless router.

It produces lots of interesting statistics. Do any of them indicate how
much data transfer there's been since it was last rebooted? Searching
through Google suggests the answer is number of packets * MTU.

So, currently 36631 packets have gone out and 46728 have come it. MTU
is set to 1458.

So, 36631 * 1458 = 53,407,998 outgoing bytes and
46728 * 1458 = 68,129,424 incoming bytes.

In a word, no. Packets have fixed header (and sometimes trailer). The
payload can vary, and be anything up to the MTU. Even that is a
simplification.

Ah, yes. Of course. I suppose the M in MTU does suggest that.

I realised I didn't make it clear that the header and trailer aren't
included in the MTU count either...!
http://www.voipinside.net
Old March 1st 07, 08:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Geoff Lane

Martin Jay wrote:

I have a Netgear DG834G wireless router.

It produces lots of interesting statistics. Do any of them indicate how
much data transfer there's been since it was last rebooted? Searching
through Google suggests the answer is number of packets * MTU.

Strange isn't it, my Draytek packets and blocks but no MBs.

Geoff Lane