Problems with router - no PPP Link LED

Old February 28th 07, 07:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Slartibartfast

Default Problems with router - no PPP Link LED

I normally use a Broadband connection (I'm currently using my "emergency"
dial-up account). My ISP is Demon, and I connect using a Netgear DG834
router.

The router normally has four LEDs lit: Power, Internet, Wireless and PPP
Link. Today the PPP Link LED is not lit and I am unable to access the
internet.

I'm not very technically-minded, so can anyone suggest what may have gone
wrong and how I can correct it? Is it possible there is a fault with my
telephone line (which is fine for voice calls) as we had some lightning last
night which knocked out the electricity on two occasions - could it have
done something to the phone line?

TIA
--
Hungerdunger
To reply by email, remove the MARX from my address

Old February 28th 07, 08:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

"Slartibartfast" wrote in message
I normally use a Broadband connection (I'm currently using my
"emergency" dial-up account). My ISP is Demon, and I connect using a
Netgear DG834 router.

The router normally has four LEDs lit: Power, Internet, Wireless and
PPP Link. Today the PPP Link LED is not lit and I am unable to
access the internet.

I'm not very technically-minded, so can anyone suggest what may have
gone wrong and how I can correct it? Is it possible there is a
fault with my telephone line (which is fine for voice calls) as we
had some lightning last night which knocked out the electricity on
two occasions - could it have done something to the phone line?

It could have even blown your router, borrow a friends to check for
sync before you report any fault, it could save you money

Old February 28th 07, 10:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alec

If you have an overhead line there is more chance that the lightening has
caused damage.

Remember the damage could just as easily be at the exchange!

It is worth trying to borrow a router to check.

Alec

Old February 28th 07, 11:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve Olive

Slartibartfast wrote:
I normally use a Broadband connection (I'm currently using my "emergency"
dial-up account). My ISP is Demon, and I connect using a Netgear DG834
router.

The router normally has four LEDs lit: Power, Internet, Wireless and PPP
Link. Today the PPP Link LED is not lit and I am unable to access the
internet.

I'm not very technically-minded, so can anyone suggest what may have gone
wrong and how I can correct it? Is it possible there is a fault with my
telephone line (which is fine for voice calls) as we had some lightning last
night which knocked out the electricity on two occasions - could it have
done something to the phone line?

TIA

I assume you've switched it off, waited a few seconds, and then switched
it back on?

Excuse the basic advice, but it is the first thing to try, and you did
say you aren't technical.
Old March 1st 07, 02:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Slartibartfast

"Steve Olive" wrote in message

I assume you've switched it off, waited a few seconds, and then switched
it back on?

Excuse the basic advice, but it is the first thing to try, and you did say
you aren't technical.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions.

In fact it turns out that the reason was pretty straightforward: my ISP
(Demon) has disconnected me without warning over an alleged problem with my
Direct Debits.

I'm now back on, but will definitely be looking for another ISP by the time
the next Direct Debit is due.