Help with Sky Router please

Old March 1st 07, 09:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
diy-newby

Default Help with Sky Router please

I am in the process of getting Sky 'Max'. Current activation is 3rd March.
I have heard some people having their line activated a few days before the
estimated date so thought I would give it a try last night. Installed
everything but the line is not connected yet. Anyway, got a question
regarding the lights on the router. The power and the 'i' are lit
constantly, the wireless and the network port 1 light have an intermittent
flash. Is this normal, I thought that all lights should flash on bootup and
connection then stay lit constantly? Is it because my line has not been
activated yet?

I am a complete novice when it comes to routers and wireless, always had
ADSL via USB modem in the past.

Thanks

Old March 1st 07, 10:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"diy-newby" wrote in message
I am in the process of getting Sky 'Max'. Current activation is 3rd March.
I have heard some people having their line activated a few days before the
estimated date so thought I would give it a try last night. Installed
everything but the line is not connected yet. Anyway, got a question
regarding the lights on the router. The power and the 'i' are lit
constantly, the wireless and the network port 1 light have an intermittent
flash. Is this normal, I thought that all lights should flash on bootup
and connection then stay lit constantly? Is it because my line has not
been activated yet?

I am a complete novice when it comes to routers and wireless, always had
ADSL via USB modem in the past.

The i light ( (c) apple no doubt) indicates you have the line jumpered to an
ADSL signal.
This does not mean they have finished configuring the rest of the network
but they may have.

Have you tried logging into the router and see what the status is?
(http://192.168.0.1 or http://192.168.1.1 user: admin password: sky)
Have you pressed the sky test button on the status page?

Old March 1st 07, 10:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Spack

diy-newby wrote on Thu, 1 Mar 2007 09:32:12 -0000:

I am in the process of getting Sky 'Max'. Current activation is 3rd
March. I have heard some people having their line activated a few days
before the estimated date so thought I would give it a try last night.
Installed everything but the line is not connected yet. Anyway, got a
question regarding the lights on the router. The power and the 'i' are
lit constantly, the wireless and the network port 1 light have an
intermittent flash. Is this normal, I thought that all lights should
flash on bootup and connection then stay lit constantly? Is it because my
line has not been activated yet?

Power will be constant. "i" will flash when trying to sync with the
exchange, and will be constant when sync'd. The wireless and network port
lights will flash as data is sent/received. As "i" is constant it's sync'd,
so it appears that your line is activated.

Dan

Old March 1st 07, 12:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Lurch

On Thu, 1 Mar 2007 10:42:26 -0000, "Spack"
mused:

[...]

i will also flash\flicker as data is sent\received over the ADSL
connection. It will be more randmom than the start up flash when it's
syncing.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Old March 1st 07, 02:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
diy-newby

The i light ( (c) apple no doubt) indicates you have the line jumpered to
an ADSL signal.
This does not mean they have finished configuring the rest of the network
but they may have.

Have you tried logging into the router and see what the status is?
(http://192.168.0.1 or http://192.168.1.1 user: admin password: sky)
Have you pressed the sky test button on the status page?

Yes, clicked on Sky Test, it goes off things for a few seconds then comes
back with an error code 200, unable to connect. Will give it another try at
the weekend when it is due to become live. I thought I may be lucky and be
connected sooner than they said as some others have been.

Thanks for your help anyway, I'm sure I will be back asking questions about
routers and wireless connections!

Old March 1st 07, 07:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nel

Have you tried logging into the router and see what the status is?
(http://192.168.0.1 or http://192.168.1.1 user: admin password: sky)
Have you pressed the sky test button on the status page?

You've just answered a question that I was wondering since my brother got
his Sky Broadband in a few days back!! I wanted to get into the wireless
router to enable MAC filtering, but couldn't get past the admin
password..... and no mention of it in the paperwork.

Cheers!

Old March 2nd 07, 08:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
diy-newby

The I light indicates that you are connected to the internet. You might
find that it starts working quite soon after your first login attempt.

Regarding the loggin on. I do have a username and password which Sky
suplpied, I presume once the Sky BB becomes active I will need this each and
every time I log on the internet.

Old March 2nd 07, 11:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"diy-newby" wrote in message

The I light indicates that you are connected to the internet. You might
find that it starts working quite soon after your first login attempt.

Regarding the loggin on. I do have a username and password which Sky
suplpied, I presume once the Sky BB becomes active I will need this each
and every time I log on the internet.

You don't need it at all to access the internet.
That one is already in the router when you get it and you can't change it.

The one they supply is to allow you to log into sky.com and access you
email, etc.