Grandstream HT 486

Old March 1st 07, 11:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Nigel

Default Grandstream HT 486

Hi,

Just got one of these but are having a few problems:-

1. I have the box connected to my cable modem and then the box is connected
to a wireless router. About every 10mins I keep losing the wireless
connection. Before the Grandstream never had a problem and never lost a
connection. Is there something I need to adjust in the Grandstream??
Unfortunately my wireless router has only one land sockets so the adaptor
has to go before the router.

2. I have 2 phones both DECT but I am only able to dial out with one!!!. The
one I can't dial out with will allow me to get to the speaking menu of the
Grandstream and I can dial up the various menus !! so I know the box is
recognising the numbers. Any ideas

thanks

Nigel
--

Winter and Summer holidays in the alps!!!
www.austrianfamilyholidays.co.uk

Old March 3rd 07, 10:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Herman

--

"Nigel" wrote in message
Hi,

Just got one of these but are having a few problems:-

1. I have the box connected to my cable modem and then the box is
connected to a wireless router. About every 10mins I keep losing the
wireless connection. Before the Grandstream never had a problem and never
lost a connection. Is there something I need to adjust in the
Grandstream?? Unfortunately my wireless router has only one land sockets
so the adaptor has to go before the router.

If it is indeed the wireless connection that is dropping, this must have
something to do with where the router is sited or the wireless configuration
(channel etc.) What else have you changed since the WLAN worked OK?

If the connection between your router and the 486 is dropping, then it could
help if you disable router functions in the 486. As it is positioned before
your router, you would probably need to enable the bridging function,
although there are a number of problems associated with this, the key one
being how you access the 486 as I think bridging will leave the unit without
an IP address. You could try putting the 486 the other side of the router
and disabling routing functions (NAT and probably also DHCP), although call
quality may suffer, particularly if your router is not QoS.

My general view on the 486 is that it is not particularly robust, but can
work OK if you play around with it - i.e.OK as a first VoIP box. If you
have the opportunity of taking it out of the main routing and using a
different router/firewall, then this tends to work better.

2. I have 2 phones both DECT but I am only able to dial out with one!!!.
The one I can't dial out with will allow me to get to the speaking menu of
the
Grandstream and I can dial up the various menus !! so I know the box is
recognising the numbers. Any ideas

Have you tested the phone on a PSTN line (i.e. is it just a problem with
VoIP?) If it does, it could be the DTMF sending method. IIRC there is a
box in the configuration to switch between methods of sending DTMF, although
I thought this only affected DTMF sending after the number had been dialled.