a decent voip / adsl / wifi router

Old March 1st 07, 02:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Steve R

Default a decent voip / adsl / wifi router

Hi,

I am looking to get a new adsl router and wondered if anyone could recommend
one.
I need adsl modem and wifi built in with the facility to connect a standard
(DECT) phone for use with an as yet to be decided voip service.
I don't want to spend more than 100 gbp if possible.
Can anyone recommend one?

In addition I need a voip service that would work well with the above set
up. Quality is more important than cost - in that , for UK calls at least, I
need the quality to be as near to a standard phone as possible and have
facilities for fowarding calls to a mobile phone.

Any suggestions welcome.

Apologies if this has been asked a hundred times. I'm new to the group and
just looking for a current recommendation.

Thanks,

Steve

Old March 1st 07, 04:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian

On 2007-03-01, Steve R wrote:

In addition I need a voip service that would work well with the above set
up. Quality is more important than cost - in that , for UK calls at least, I
need the quality to be as near to a standard phone as possible and have
facilities for fowarding calls to a mobile phone.

Not that there hasn't been the odd call or two which wasn't comparable
with landline quality, but on the whole audio quality has never been an
issue with the VISPs I've used. I cannot think of any in particular to
avoid. There is a range of diversion options, including to a mobile, at
www.voiptalk.org. Their service is reliable and well-established.

Brian.
Old March 1st 07, 05:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Steve R" wrote in message

Hi,

I am looking to get a new adsl router and wondered if
anyone could recommend one.
I need adsl modem and wifi built in with the facility to
connect a standard (DECT) phone for use with an as yet to
be decided voip service. I don't want to spend more than 100 gbp if
possible.
Can anyone recommend one?

In addition I need a voip service that would work well
with the above set up. Quality is more important than
cost - in that , for UK calls at least, I need the
quality to be as near to a standard phone as possible and
have facilities for fowarding calls to a mobile phone.
Any suggestions welcome.

Apologies if this has been asked a hundred times. I'm new
to the group and just looking for a current
recommendation.

For the router, try the Fritz!Box range - www.avm.de/en

Ivor

Old March 1st 07, 05:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Tim

Steve R wrote:

I am looking to get a new adsl router and wondered if anyone could recommend
one.
I need adsl modem and wifi built in with the facility to connect a standard
(DECT) phone for use with an as yet to be decided voip service.
I don't want to spend more than 100 gbp if possible.
Can anyone recommend one?

I have yet to find an ADSL router/wifi combination that works really
well. There is always a downside.

I would suggest you buy:

1) ZyXEL P660R-61C Cheap and cheerful, plain router. Don't buy the
higher models because they sometimes cause issues with SIP.

I reckon this router is the best for holding the connection up, and also
getting the fastest connection speed on ADSL max.

2) Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 Wireless Access point. Disable the router bit
(via switch on bottom), and just use it as a wireless access point.
This also gives you a 5 port switch.

3) Siemens C460IP dect phone. This saves you needing to have a device
with FXO ports on to connect your existing DECT phone.

It will all add up to more than 100 pounds. I reckon about 145 + VAT.
But you did say that quality is more important than cost.

In addition I need a voip service that would work well with the above set
up. Quality is more important than cost - in that , for UK calls at least, I
need the quality to be as near to a standard phone as possible and have
facilities for fowarding calls to a mobile phone.

There are loads of service providers.

Gradwell and Voipfone are both competent and can do forwarding to
mobile. Call quality is generally better than a standard phone - no
analogue cable to the exchange.

Tim
Old March 1st 07, 08:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Steve R

"Tim" wrote in message
Steve R wrote:

[...]

Thanks Tim and everyone else for the useful advice.
I like the look of the Siemens phone . I will have to give the setup some
thought.

Thanks,

Steve
..

Old March 2nd 07, 02:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Martin²

Apart from the Fritz!, there are two other good quality, (and therefore not
cheap), VoIP / WiFi routers:
Zyxel 2602 HW/L - very good, however the WiFi is not the best.
Draytek Vigor 2800VG - excellent quality and reliability.

However if you want to keep under £100, you should be able to find the older
Vigor 2600VG on ebay,
that's how I got mine, never missed a bit in 3 years.
Regards,
Martin

Old March 2nd 07, 09:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip

"Martin²" wrote:
Apart from the Fritz!, there are two other good quality, (and therefore not
cheap), VoIP / WiFi routers:
Zyxel 2602 HW/L - very good, however the WiFi is not the best.
Draytek Vigor 2800VG - excellent quality and reliability.

However if you want to keep under £100, you should be able to find the older
Vigor 2600VG on ebay,

Can I put in a vote for the Speedtouch 716WL, I bought a refurbished
one for about £40 and it's been 100% reliable for a year or more now.
It's better (for me) then the Zyxel it replaced, mainly because the
Zyxel's software was a bit flakey when I tried to use the Media
Bandwidth Management.

--
Chris Green
Old March 2nd 07, 11:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Tim

Martin² wrote:
Draytek Vigor 2800VG - excellent quality and reliability.

I have to say I've gone off Draytek. They used to be my standard
recommended router.

I've found that they just can't cope with ADSL MAX lines. Too many
resyncs[1]. And often they don't connect at full speed.

Tim
Old March 2nd 07, 02:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Tony Mountifield

In article ,
Tim wrote:
Martin² wrote:
Draytek Vigor 2800VG - excellent quality and reliability.

I have to say I've gone off Draytek. They used to be my standard
recommended router.

I've found that they just can't cope with ADSL MAX lines. Too many
resyncs[1]. And often they don't connect at full speed.

Yes, the 2800G is very fussy about ADSLmax. There are also problems
with its Wireless when using some chipsets and drivers.

I bought my 2800G based on Vigor's reputation, but I wouldn't buy
another.

Cheers
Tony
--