What does 'Ping' mean please.

Old March 1st 07, 07:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Horse.trader

Default What does 'Ping' mean please.

Just bought an ADSL wireless router etc., and on one if the speed-test
sites, it gives a 'ping' test which gives what I presume a test shown in
milliseconds.

Is this a sort of send receive test to see how long it takes to get the
signal back to it's origin??

Thanks

Brian (Huddersfield)

Old March 1st 07, 07:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
TrentSC

Just bought an ADSL wireless router etc., and on one if the speed-test
sites, it gives a 'ping' test which gives what I presume a test shown in
milliseconds.

Is this a sort of send receive test to see how long it takes to get the
signal back to it's origin??

Yup.

Remember in those old war films when the submarine was measuring the
distance to another ship with that audible ping noise? This is the same
sort of thing, hence the name.

Old March 1st 07, 09:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger Mills

Yes. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ping
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old March 1st 07, 09:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
jim

On Thu, 01 Mar 2007 18:15:12 GMT, "Horse.trader"
wrote:

Just bought an ADSL wireless router etc., and on one if the speed-test
sites, it gives a 'ping' test which gives what I presume a test shown in
milliseconds.

Is this a sort of send receive test to see how long it takes to get the
signal back to it's origin??

Thanks

Brian (Huddersfield)

It's the opposite of "pong"

jim

Old March 1st 07, 09:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Horse.trader

wrote:

Just bought an ADSL wireless router etc., and on one if the speed-test
sites, it gives a 'ping' test which gives what I presume a test shown in
milliseconds.

Is this a sort of send receive test to see how long it takes to get the
signal back to it's origin??

Thanks

Brian (Huddersfield)

It's the opposite of "pong"

jim

Excellent, thank you to all those that replied, very useful.

Brian (Huddersfield)

Old March 2nd 07, 01:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

"Horse.trader" wrote:

Just bought an ADSL wireless router etc., and on one if the speed-test
sites, it gives a 'ping' test which gives what I presume a test shown in
milliseconds.

Is this a sort of send receive test to see how long it takes to get the
signal back to it's origin??

See "das Boot". (actually everyone on the planet should see it at least once)

The original version used ultrasound.

Graham

Old March 2nd 07, 12:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NoNeedToKnow

On 2 Mar 2007, "Blair" wrote:

I noticed that no one told you 'how to ping'

some routers have a menu option, where one puts in the name or IP
address of a host, and it does the ping for you...

I was interested myself in finding out 'how'

You'll usually find ping on the command line interface of a PC OS
(there may be similar options on big multi-user systems, but the
odds are they're restricted to administrator/operator users).

So under Windows, get a "Command prompt" (aka MS-DOS window), and
enter 'ping host' ( where host might be an IP or hostname -
eg www.bbc.co.uk or 212.58.224.121 ) Similarly under Linux/Unix,
or open a terminal session under Mac OS X. Some web hosts offer
a command line interface (telnet or ssh access) but many have a
block on access to network functions such as ping, traceroute,
and so on, in case someone "makes a nuisance of themself".