Nildram/Pipex traffic shaping

Old March 2nd 07, 06:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Grumps

Default Nildram/Pipex traffic shaping

For all those interested, I have had it confirmed (by email from their
support team) that Nildram do NOT employ traffic shaping.
So now I cannot understand why P2P is so slow. Either;
a) I'm not getting the right torrents,
b) My router isn't set up with the right port forwards,
c) Someone is telling porkies.
Port forwards aren't exactly difficult to set up, and it used to work (last
year) fine.
My guess is c).

Old March 2nd 07, 09:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

For all those interested, I have had it confirmed (by email from their
support team) that Nildram do NOT employ traffic shaping.

BT used to claim the same thing in email confirmations too.
Old March 2nd 07, 09:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
WCZ

"Grumps" wrote in message
For all those interested, I have had it confirmed (by email from their
support team) that Nildram do NOT employ traffic shaping.
So now I cannot understand why P2P is so slow. Either;
a) I'm not getting the right torrents,
b) My router isn't set up with the right port forwards,
c) Someone is telling porkies.
Port forwards aren't exactly difficult to set up, and it used to work
(last year) fine.
My guess is c).

What speed are you getting for torrents? At peak times I was getting 20kb/s
total until last night when it was 40kb/s for some wierd reason - guess
Pipex must be playing with something.

Pipex own Nildram so I wouldn't be at all surprised if they are applying
traffic throttling.

Old March 2nd 07, 09:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Grumps

WCZ wrote:
"Grumps" wrote in message
For all those interested, I have had it confirmed (by email from
their support team) that Nildram do NOT employ traffic shaping.
So now I cannot understand why P2P is so slow. Either;
a) I'm not getting the right torrents,
b) My router isn't set up with the right port forwards,
c) Someone is telling porkies.
Port forwards aren't exactly difficult to set up, and it used to work
(last year) fine.
My guess is c).

What speed are you getting for torrents? At peak times I was getting
20kb/s total until last night when it was 40kb/s for some wierd
reason - guess Pipex must be playing with something.

I did a quick check with an epsiode of a well known (but rubbish) TV series.
The torrent speed went up to about 80kBytes/s after a few minutes. I then
started another torrent which also went up to about the same value, so a
combined speed of about 140kBytes/s. This was at 8:00am.

Pipex own Nildram so I wouldn't be at all surprised if they are
applying traffic throttling.

Maybe Pipex realise that they must provide a better service for the premium
price they charge Nildram customers, so they've removed throttling. Whoosh!
Their goes another pig in the sky.

Old March 2nd 07, 03:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
devs

In message , Grumps
writes
For all those interested, I have had it confirmed (by email from their
support team) that Nildram do NOT employ traffic shaping.
So now I cannot understand why P2P is so slow. Either;
a) I'm not getting the right torrents,
b) My router isn't set up with the right port forwards,
c) Someone is telling porkies.
Port forwards aren't exactly difficult to set up, and it used to work (last
year) fine.
My guess is c).

It seems that way. I struggle to get above 20Kbs during the day but
after about 1am it seems to fly. It may be time for a move soon.
--
Devs
"Punchdown Pete the old Kroner"
Old March 2nd 07, 09:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
El Luchador

"Grumps" wrote in message
For all those interested, I have had it confirmed (by email from their
support team) that Nildram do NOT employ traffic shaping.
So now I cannot understand why P2P is so slow. Either;
a) I'm not getting the right torrents,
b) My router isn't set up with the right port forwards,
c) Someone is telling porkies.
Port forwards aren't exactly difficult to set up, and it used to work

(last
year) fine.
My guess is c).

i go for c) too, try utorrent or azereus and stick the encrypytion on, they
may not have caught up with that yet

Old March 3rd 07, 12:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

On Fri, 2 Mar 2007 06:57:18 -0000, in uk.telecom.broadband , "Grumps"
wrote:

For all those interested, I have had it confirmed (by email from their
support team) that Nildram do NOT employ traffic shaping.
So now I cannot understand why P2P is so slow.

Define slow, and bear in mind that your download speed depends on
a) the other guy's upload speed; and
b) your own current uploads; and
c) your computers current load; and
d) the state of congestion on the internet; and
e) etc.

--
Mark McIntyre
Old March 8th 07, 10:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Capri-Sun

"Grumps" wrote in message
For all those interested, I have had it confirmed (by email from their
support team) that Nildram do NOT employ traffic shaping.
So now I cannot understand why P2P is so slow. Either;
a) I'm not getting the right torrents,
b) My router isn't set up with the right port forwards,
c) Someone is telling porkies.
Port forwards aren't exactly difficult to set up, and it used to work
(last year) fine.
My guess is c).

I used nildram for 12 months and had not a single grievence with them. One
month we downloaded 300GB.

Old March 9th 07, 11:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tony h

get utorrent, force encryption! pipex (2meg) without encryption 17- 21kb,
with encryption 220kb depending on the torrents. try googling 'open office
torrents' as these usually have plenty of seeders and should max out your
connection in minutes (and are perfectly legal).