Old April 10th 18, 04:45 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Brown[_2_]

Default Intermittent phone line disconnections, however.....

On 10/04/2018 15:57, Mark Carver wrote:
On 10/04/2018 09:30, Martin Brown wrote:

On Friday night, the line was permanently 'engaged' for at least 4
hours, at mother's end no dial tone, just a 'humming sound' so
perhaps it's a short ?

You should probably have reported it whilst it was in this state.

If I'd been physically there, and was confident it wasn't one of the
phones knocked off the hook etc, I would have done !
I've not been present at her house to witness any of the faults, and I'm
not 100% confident yet the breaks are not 'mother induced', (i.e
momentarily knocking the hook when she moves the phone) You've got to be
100% sure of your facts before you mobilise BT-OR !

But you are describing a POTS fault and if as seems likely the phone
line is for contact use and possibly care on call you can ask them to do
a line test which will show off hook as distinct from line fault.

My mum's line went bad in this sort of way and mimicked off hook almost
perfectly except that it clearly wasn't. BT could tell on test. Turned
out water had got into the 30 year old junction box up the pole. If she
is really dependent on the phone for outside contact there is a fast
repair service that you can get for elderly vulnerable with help from
her doctor. Requirements to qualify are fairly strict but no impossible.

https://btplc.com/Inclusion/HelpAndS...ult_Repair.pdf

Not exactly the same. Bad lines usually take down ADSL too. Do the
error second and CRC error correction on the modem show anything unusual?

I'll have a look next time I'm there, but the sync speed and SNR values
are the same as they've always been

Odd. Usually ADSL is the first thing to go into a downwards spiral if
the line is showing signs of failing. Round here the most common fault
is a tree rubbing insulation off the cables crossing mixing up line
pairs in strange ways.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown