Old April 11th 18, 12:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Brown[_2_]

Default Cheap 4G dongle for short trip..?

On 11/04/2018 12:19, Someone Somewhere wrote:
On 11/04/2018 12:02, MissRiaElaine wrote:
Hi all,

My other half and I are planning a canal cruise again this year, and
we really want some form of connectivity while we're away.

So we're looking for a USB 'dongle' that we can use on the laptop, we
don't want any sort of contract, as it's only going to be required for
2 or 3 weeks in any one year.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to the best one to go for..? I
know that PAYG credit expires after a month on these things nowadays
(I used to have one of the Vodafone ones where it didn't) but that's
not really a problem as long as it can be reactivated later when it's
needed again.

What's your budget, how much data and what's coverage on the various
networks like where you're going?

That is critical since there is no point in having 4G capability in a
remote area with only 2.5G coverage. I use a Mifi with external yagi
antennas to work distant masts in remote places (up to about 30 miles).

I doubt the pointing off a boat would be good enough.

If the former is about 50 you can buy an unlocked Huawei E5330 MiFi
from Amazon for 32 and then get a Three Data Reward SIM - first 200MB
free (if registered) and then 1p/MB so you basically get 2GB included in
your 50, and then next year or whenever just buy another SIM.

Other networks have similar offers I guess.

My recommendations would be a Huawei E5577 or cheaper on 3G E5330 - I
would NOT get a dongle as my only device as they are more tetchy and
interference from the PC/inability to put the thing in the best position
for getting a signal indoors can be a PITA (even with a USB extender).

Three or EE do SIMs with 3 or 12GB and 6 GB respectively. You can get
even better introductory offers on new SIMs if you keep an eye out.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown