Old April 12th 18, 02:49 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.[_3_]

Default Intermittent phone line disconnections, however.....

.......broadband service is unaffected.

It's my mother's line. The fault is either the voice side either going
open-circuit, or short circuit. On outgoing calls, it causes
'cleardown'. On incoming calls there's a click and loss of audio for a
few 100 milliseconds, and all carries on again as normal.

On Friday night, the line was permanently 'engaged' for at least 4
hours, at mother's end no dial tone, just a 'humming sound' so perhaps
it's a short ?

The broadband router logs don't report any traumas, and an 'uptime' of
40 days, speed unaffected (16ish meg sync speed ADSL2+), and all the
happy lights remain green and normal (even during the 4 hour 'engaged'
period).

17070 'Quiet Line' is deadly quiet.

Therefore I'm fairly confident the problem is somewhere inside the
exchange ?

Checked master socket, extensions, etc, etc.

Unfortunately, it's a very intermittent fault (except for Friday's session)

Anybody ever experienced similar ?

Mark, can I reiterate what others have said, that it's not uncommon
for a line fault that kills POTS completly, eg one leg going O.C. to
have little or no effect on xDSL.

So it's quite likley it's a fault in the lineplant rather than than
the exchange equipment, (not that it makes any difference to the
subscriber).

Did the Friday night session coinside with wet weather? I am thinking
of flooded cable ducts etc.
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%