A Broadband and ADSL forum. BroadbanterBanter

Welcome to BroadbanterBanter.

You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today.

Go Back   Home » BroadbanterBanter forum » Newsgroup Discussions » uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) (uk.telecom.broadband) Discussion of broadband services, technology and equipment as provided in the UK. Discussions of specific services based on ADSL, cable modems or other broadband technology are also on-topic. Advertising is not allowed.

More reasons to use a router...



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old March 2nd 07, 12:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NoNeedToKnow
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 498
Default More reasons to use a router...

Trouble installing your Broadand? Blame Vista.

http://www.uk-bug.net/Article1461.html

In brief, comments from ISPs that installation CDs might not
work if you are using Vista and plugging in some device (eg a
USB modem). Ends up with comment that their user forums might
get some answers, or use a router (much recommended in this NG!)

--
www.netdimes.org - mapping the internet.
Join team UK-24x7 (position 135) Let's beat "Italy" :-

Change to DSL Max the way I did: switch ISP http://www.dslmax.info/
  #2  
Old March 2nd 07, 02:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,765
Default More reasons to use a router...

NoNeedToKnow wrote:
Trouble installing your Broadand? Blame Vista.

http://www.uk-bug.net/Article1461.html

In brief, comments from ISPs that installation CDs might not
work if you are using Vista and plugging in some device (eg a
USB modem). Ends up with comment that their user forums might
get some answers, or use a router (much recommended in this NG!)


Been doing that for at least 61/2 years despite what the bloody
management have been telling me


  #3  
Old March 2nd 07, 02:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
bob
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 19
Default More reasons to use a router...

On Fri, 02 Mar 2007 12:50:02 +0000, NoNeedToKnow wrote:

Trouble installing your Broadand? Blame Vista.

http://www.uk-bug.net/Article1461.html

In brief, comments from ISPs that installation CDs might not
work if you are using Vista and plugging in some device (eg a
USB modem).


From what it says in the link, the problem is that Vista prevents the CD
changing settings on Windows, setting pop servers, monkeying around with the
home page etc, which doesn't sound all that bad to me. I've not let a CD do
that for about 10 years.
  #4  
Old March 2nd 07, 03:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 14
Default More reasons to use a router...


"NoNeedToKnow" wrote in message
...
Trouble installing your Broadand? Blame Vista.

http://www.uk-bug.net/Article1461.html

In brief, comments from ISPs that installation CDs might not
work if you are using Vista and plugging in some device (eg a
USB modem). Ends up with comment that their user forums might
get some answers, or use a router (much recommended in this NG!)

--
www.netdimes.org - mapping the internet.
Join team UK-24x7 (position 135) Let's beat "Italy" :-

Change to DSL Max the way I did: switch ISP http://www.dslmax.info/



A good thing. Those cd's add in the providers logos into IE and all sorts
of other crap.


  #5  
Old March 2nd 07, 04:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,765
Default More reasons to use a router...

Peter wrote:
"NoNeedToKnow" wrote in message
...
Trouble installing your Broadand? Blame Vista.

http://www.uk-bug.net/Article1461.html

In brief, comments from ISPs that installation CDs might not
work if you are using Vista and plugging in some device (eg a
USB modem). Ends up with comment that their user forums might
get some answers, or use a router (much recommended in this NG!)

--
www.netdimes.org - mapping the internet.
Join team UK-24x7 (position 135) Let's beat "Italy" :-

Change to DSL Max the way I did: switch ISP
http://www.dslmax.info/



A good thing. Those cd's add in the providers logos into IE and
all sorts of other crap.


& just wait until you've got a PC which has been branded at least 3
times put in front of you with the comment "it apears to be running
slow" by your daughter-in-law not a fun place to be I can tell you.
Mind you it didn't help with there being the assorted rogue diallers,
trojans & key loggers......I counted 26 before I gave up


  #6  
Old March 2nd 07, 04:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sam Nelson
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 84
Default More reasons to use a router...

In article ,
"kraftee" writes:
& just wait until you've got a PC which has been branded at least 3
times put in front of you with the comment "it apears to be running
slow" by your daughter-in-law not a fun place to be I can tell you.
Mind you it didn't help with there being the assorted rogue diallers,
trojans & key loggers......I counted 26 before I gave up


A fair amount of this is just people doing plain ordinary app installations
and checking (or not unchecking) the box that says `Put icon in System Tray'
at which point the whole app loads on startup, and eventually the PC just
runs out of RAM when the last straw breaks its back, it starts paging like
a mad thing, and either needs more RAM, or (more likely) the System Tray
cleaned up. Me, I just like it when gorgeous women whose computer I just
fixed smile at me. Easily pleased, I am.

Surely `rogue diallers' are irrelevant these days? Especially hereabouts.
--
SAm.
  #7  
Old March 2nd 07, 05:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,765
Default More reasons to use a router...

Sam Nelson wrote:
In article ,
"kraftee" writes:
& just wait until you've got a PC which has been branded at least 3
times put in front of you with the comment "it apears to be running
slow" by your daughter-in-law not a fun place to be I can tell you.
Mind you it didn't help with there being the assorted rogue
diallers, trojans & key loggers......I counted 26 before I gave up


A fair amount of this is just people doing plain ordinary app
installations and checking (or not unchecking) the box that says
`Put icon in System Tray' at which point the whole app loads on
startup, and eventually the PC just runs out of RAM when the last
straw breaks its back, it starts paging like a mad thing, and
either needs more RAM, or (more likely) the System Tray cleaned up.
Me, I just like it when gorgeous women whose computer I just fixed
smile at me. Easily pleased, I am.

Surely `rogue diallers' are irrelevant these days? Especially
hereabouts.


Yes thankfully they are BUT they still hit the PCs performance.

Unfortunately I don't think my son would like me having such lustful
thoughts about his wife (doesn't stop me I just let on ;-) ).

So far it's been a right back of bolts, even down to the NIC on the
motherboard going faulty this morning after I left it to do another
virus scan. Uninstall, reinstall, turn off in bios turn on in bios
etc, so out of my spares draw comes the top of the range 3Com I was
keeping spare for myself...

Oh well if I don't see this blasted box for the next 5 years it would
still be to soon. It would have been easier to fdisk/format the lot &
start again & would have taken less time but .........


  #8  
Old March 2nd 07, 06:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
bob
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 19
Default More reasons to use a router...

On Fri, 02 Mar 2007 14:35:53 +0000, kraftee wrote:

NoNeedToKnow wrote:
Trouble installing your Broadand? Blame Vista.
Ends up with comment that their user forums might
get some answers, or use a router (much recommended in this NG!)


Been doing that for at least 61/2 years despite what the bloody
management have been telling me


I read something from an ISP employee where he said they don't
recommend routers because most are so poorly engineered, and
that translates into a lot of support queries from customers who
assume it's the ISP at fault.
  #9  
Old March 2nd 07, 06:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,765
Default More reasons to use a router...

bob wrote:
On Fri, 02 Mar 2007 14:35:53 +0000, kraftee wrote:

NoNeedToKnow wrote:
Trouble installing your Broadand? Blame Vista.
Ends up with comment that their user forums might
get some answers, or use a router (much recommended in this NG!)


Been doing that for at least 61/2 years despite what the bloody
management have been telling me


I read something from an ISP employee where he said they don't
recommend routers because most are so poorly engineered, and
that translates into a lot of support queries from customers who
assume it's the ISP at fault.


Hacven't you realised yet, it's always BT fault first & foremost, then
it's the ISP, then it's the crappy installation at the end of the
perfectly good line. I can even vouch for one fault where the end
user was complaining about slow speeds & upon investigation he hadn't
even plugged his modem into the filter.

So how can they say that routers would cause more queries?? In the
bad old days of the green frog very often it was a mismatch between
USB drivers which was causing the faults.

Routers are more expensive that & that alone was the reason ISPs went
with the free USB modems...


  #10  
Old March 2nd 07, 06:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 735
Default More reasons to use a router...


"kraftee" wrote in message
...

Routers are more expensive that & that alone was the reason ISPs went with
the free USB modems...


We demonstrated ADSL and IP services to loads of companies (including sky,
bt, bbc technology).
We spent ages telling them that routers were the way to go as they reduced
support costs if they kept control of them.
It appears Sky listened.

If they did then you may well find that they enhance the firmware to give
priorities as we also advised that you needed to do that if you wanted to
run carrier class VoIP and video on demand.

We also suggested that it was easier to allocate the priorities to physical
ports than to use the protocols to do it.
In effect you create a port based VPN with the video in port one, VoIP in
port two, etc.
I also suggested that you could create a public wireless access network
using WiFi which would be independent of the customers access.. maybe that's
why Sky only give 16M and not 22M as they are keeping some back for
themselves?


 




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Reasons not to go with BullDog ADSL (if any??) Dee uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 1 April 7th 05 10:42 PM
Virgin Net - Any reasons against? Brian uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 5 April 2nd 05 01:44 AM
Reasons for loss of Service BJH uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 1 February 10th 05 11:13 AM
500 Reasons not to buy Tiscali$ 7 uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 4 February 10th 05 12:42 AM
Migrating AWAY from BT (for obvious reasons) Linker3000 uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 2 October 17th 04 08:53 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 2.4.0
Copyright ©2004-2019 BroadbanterBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.