Old May 2nd 18, 04:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

Default "Adverts for broadband speeds to face new rules"

Java Jive wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-43962878

"Adverts for broadband speeds to face new rules

Advertisements for broadband speeds that breach rules set to take effect
on 23 May will be banned, the Advertising Standards Authority has said.

The ASA's new rules require providers to include a median average speed
for the service between 20:00 and 22:00.

That seems very specific. Median speed of which services or sites exactly?
iplayer, Netflix or Google.com? I can imagine some particularly slow sites
might get blocked during that period or extra capacity bought.

I agree with median speeds overall,but not for such a specific time period.
Too open to gaming.

Providers will no longer be able to advertise "speeds of up to", which
currently can be available to just 10% of their customers.

And they will have to give details of any limitations that may affect
speed."

What does that mean? I realise ofcom are trying,but christ this is going to
be confusing for customers.