Old May 3rd 18, 09:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MB[_2_]

Default "Adverts for broadband speeds to face new rules"

On 02/05/2018 13:36, NY wrote:
How much of the download speed is a function of the ISP, and how much is
due to appalling quality of BT Openreach lines over which most ISPs'
broadband runs? In other words, what is the point of changing from a
"slow" ISP to a "faster" one if the rate-limiting step is that you are 5
miles from the exchange over wire that has wet, corroded joints?

I would think most if the responsibility of the ISP.

I use BT Internet and have no problem with speed or service.

I would think there is no opportunity for an ISP to cuts costs by asking
BT for an unreliable or poor quality line but they will possibly be able
to choose a lower response time to faults. The big savings will be once
it connects to their own equipment, they will be able to use cheaper
equipment, lower capacity circuits in their own network and fiddle with
contention settings.