Old May 3rd 18, 12:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

Default "Adverts for broadband speeds to face new rules"

On Thu, 3 May 2018 10:33:34 +0100, Graham J
wrote:

The length and quality of the phone line is the limiting factor. If you
live too far away from the exchange there is nothing even the best ISP
can do to improve your speeds. However they may be able to force
Openreach to improve reliability.

Indeed, and in the days when electronic communication just meant the
telephone, every aspect of it, the wiring, provision of the service,
issuing of your phone number, and the rental of the instrument itself,
was the responsibility of one organisation - the GPO. Any complaint
about anything wrong with any of it could go to one place.

Now with the internet we can have the wiring rented to us by BT,
faults with the wiring dealt with by Openreach (though we can't talk
to them directly), the service provided by an ISP, equipment bought by
the customer, and the maximum possible speed dependent on the laws of
physics because it uses wiring installed many years ago by the GPO for
a different purpose that had less stringent requirements.

So everybody can blame somebody else.

Rod.

---