Time to write to BT....

Old March 2nd 07, 07:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gordon Hudson

Default Time to write to BT....

Well I tried signing up for sky broadband and got nowhere because they said
I had a cable phone line (not true).
One of their sales people phoned yesterday trying to sell me broadband so I
said yes but he said I was on a cable phone line.
His supervisor could not help and said I must be mistaken and suggested I
contact BT.
So I phoned BT and they confirmed it was one of their lines and numbers so I
phoned BT broadband and they tested the line but said it was not connected
which was odd as I was talking to them on it. They couldn't help either.

None of this is a huge problem as I have another BT line with broadband on
it, but I was wanting to ditch it and put it on the main house line.
The only way forward I can see is to write to BT asking them to resolve the
problem.
We had a phone line fault last week and the engineer who came out said that
there were no records of the line in their engineering records which
confused him initially but he could see it was one of their lines. He traced
it back to the exchange and fixed the fault which was at that end. He
thought that it was an extra line brought in when I had a leased line at
home because there were no spare copper pairs in the original set installed
when the houses were built. Then when I stopped the leased line the circuit
was used for the main house number.

I actually do pay my phone bill to BT so the billing side have got it right.

Old March 3rd 07, 05:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gordon Hudson

"Owain" wrote in message

(a) When you dial 17070 (or 1470 17070) which number do you get read out
on the line? Is that the same as on your "main" line?

Yes its the correct one for that line.

(b) How many lines do you pay BT rental for?

Two

Has the second "line's" socket simply been paralleled on your main line,
in which case you can use your broadband from this socket just by
rearranging your filters etc?

No they have their own copper pairs.

However (and this is weird).
If I plug a phone into the second line and phone the first I get through to
a Telewest subscriber on the other side of town with a totally unrelated
number.
BT have never had any explanatoin for that bit of weirdness.

Old March 3rd 07, 05:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Keith Willcocks

"Gordon Hudson" wrote in message

"Owain" wrote in message

However (and this is weird).
If I plug a phone into the second line and phone the first I get through
to a Telewest subscriber on the other side of town with a totally
unrelated number.
BT have never had any explanatoin for that bit of weirdness.

And I will bet that that is the reason why you are being told you are on a
cable line by ISPs. Get BT to solve that one and you will probably be home
and dry.
--
Keith Willcocks

Old March 3rd 07, 06:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Keith Willcocks wrote:

"Gordon Hudson" wrote
"Owain" wrote

However (and this is weird).
If I plug a phone into the second line and phone the first I get through
to a Telewest subscriber on the other side of town with a totally
unrelated number.
BT have never had any explanatoin for that bit of weirdness.

And I will bet that that is the reason why you are being told you are on a
cable line by ISPs. Get BT to solve that one and you will probably be home
and dry.

I agree.

What a curious one !

Graham

Old March 3rd 07, 07:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gordon Hudson

"Eeyore" wrote in message

Keith Willcocks wrote:

"Gordon Hudson" wrote
"Owain" wrote

However (and this is weird).
If I plug a phone into the second line and phone the first I get
through
to a Telewest subscriber on the other side of town with a totally
unrelated number.
BT have never had any explanatoin for that bit of weirdness.

And I will bet that that is the reason why you are being told you are on
cable line by ISPs. Get BT to solve that one and you will probably be
home
and dry.

I agree.

What a curious one !

It has entertained a few BT engineers over the years but as it did not
affect the use of either line I never chased it up.

Old March 3rd 07, 08:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Keith Willcocks

"Eeyore" wrote in message

Keith Willcocks wrote:

"Gordon Hudson" wrote
"Owain" wrote

However (and this is weird).
If I plug a phone into the second line and phone the first I get
through
to a Telewest subscriber on the other side of town with a totally
unrelated number.
BT have never had any explanatoin for that bit of weirdness.

And I will bet that that is the reason why you are being told you are on
cable line by ISPs. Get BT to solve that one and you will probably be
home
and dry.

I agree.

What a curious one !

It has entertained a few BT engineers over the years but as it did not
affect the use of either line I never chased it up.

I think that situation just changed ;o)
--
Keith Willcocks

Old March 3rd 07, 10:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
sb

"Eeyore" wrote in message

Keith Willcocks wrote:

[...]

Best to start again at the begining.

1 Dial 17070 from the first line or dial your mobile, what number is
reported?
2 Do the same from the second line
3 Are these numbers the same of different
4 Make I/C calls to these numbers, what is the result.
5 Using the first line dial the first lines number, what is the result
6 Repeat with the second line
7 Do you receive bills for both lines, are the numbers on the bills
the same as the results you have just obtained?
8 Can you use both lines at the same time?
9 Is there overhearing between the lines?
10 I'll think about 10 after you give the answers to the above.

SB

Old March 3rd 07, 10:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

Gordon Hudson wrote:
"Owain" wrote in message

(a) When you dial 17070 (or 1470 17070) which number do you get
read out on the line? Is that the same as on your "main" line?

Yes its the correct one for that line.

(b) How many lines do you pay BT rental for?

Two

Has the second "line's" socket simply been paralleled on your main
line, in which case you can use your broadband from this socket
just by rearranging your filters etc?

No they have their own copper pairs.

However (and this is weird).
If I plug a phone into the second line and phone the first I get
through to a Telewest subscriber on the other side of town with a
totally unrelated number.
BT have never had any explanatoin for that bit of weirdness.

Possibility of either a non completed porting over or a failure at
some stage or another, we've even had a few in this area where the
cable co has pulled the number back after a few weeks which has lead
to all types of finger pointing....