Old May 3rd 18, 01:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

Default Plusnet prices going up, or maybe down

Roderick Stewart wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Chronos wrote:

Plusnet getting off their arses and deploying native IPv6.

+1

Do we really want this? Would it be deployed using local addresses,
WAN addresses, NAT and DHCP just like IPv4, or would it make use of
the fact that IPv6 has enough addresses for every individual device on
the planet to be uniquely identified?

Hopefully each ISP customer would get their own /64.

If we'd never needed NAT, I reckon we'd have VoIP almost everywhere by
now, rather than Skype plus friends and the one-way audio issues for
those using SIP/RTP without STUN/TURN. And maybe other peer-to-peer
uses would have taken off?

It's not difficult to guess what
would happen if the lawmakers fully realised the possibilities that
this could offer them.

The anonymity of the internet is one of its greatest strengths, not
possessed by any other communication system, and it would be a tragedy
if we threw the last vestige of it away. What guarantees have we that
it won't happen?

dual-stack would let the end user decide whether they use one, the other
or both, I already have a /29 subnet, so everything is tied to me
(though not to whichever of my devices)

If a device moves to a different IPv6 subnet it will change the subnet
part of the address, and depending on the local scheme in use may change
the local part too, so your phone/tablet wouldn't be trackable by its
IPv6 addr from home to work, to cafe etc.