Home Hub - Not with BT

Old March 3rd 07, 12:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew

Default Home Hub - Not with BT

Is it possible to use the BT home Hub as a modem / router if I am with an
ISP other than BT?

Also I would to use the DMT tool to tweak the SNR margin; could somebody
tell me which firmware the home hub will need in order to work with the DMT
tool and where to download the firmware from.

Thanks in advance,
Andy

Old March 3rd 07, 06:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Motion

"Andrew" wrote in message
.uk...
Is it possible to use the BT home Hub as a modem / router if I am with an
ISP other than BT?

NO.

Old March 3rd 07, 08:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

"Motion" wrote in message
"Andrew" wrote in message
.uk...
Is it possible to use the BT home Hub as a modem / router if I am
with an ISP other than BT?

NO.

But with hacking yes......The real question is why would you want
to???

Old March 3rd 07, 08:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew

Is it possible to use the BT home Hub as a modem / router if I am with
an ISP other than BT?

NO.

But with hacking yes......The real question is why would you want to???

Because I have got one very cheap and want to try to force a higher sync
speed by using DMT tool to reduce the target SNR. What hack is required to
unlock the BT Home Hub?

Thanks,

Andy

Old March 3rd 07, 11:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Lurch

On Sat, 3 Mar 2007 08:51:19 -0000, "Andrew"
mused:

Is it possible to use the BT home Hub as a modem / router if I am with
an ISP other than BT?

NO.

But with hacking yes......The real question is why would you want to???

Because I have got one very cheap and want to try to force a higher sync
speed by using DMT tool to reduce the target SNR. What hack is required to
unlock the BT Home Hub?

Yes, I'd be interested in this too. AFAICT, no-one has managed to
unlock one yet. I have found numerous hacks, but no unlocking.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Old March 3rd 07, 12:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James Bailey

What hack is required to
unlock the BT Home Hub?

Thanks,

Andy

Some kind of miracle.
--
Kind regards,

+ ------ PlusNet - The smarter way to broadband ------------
Old March 3rd 07, 01:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew

"James Bailey" wrote in message
What hack is required to
unlock the BT Home Hub?

Thanks,

Andy

Some kind of miracle.
--
Kind regards,

| James Bailey Broadband Solutions for
| Comms Team Home &Business @
| PlusNet Plc www.plus.net
+ ------ PlusNet - The smarter way to broadband ------------

Blow me down with a feather if it ain't Metronet James. Come on James when
I was with Metronet you could sort anything!

Andy

Old March 3rd 07, 01:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James Bailey

Blow me down with a feather if it ain't Metronet James. Come on James when

I was with Metronet you could sort anything!

Andy

Blimey, that's a name from the past

From what I know, various attempts have been made to unlock the Home
Hub, none of which have yet been successful....

Old March 4th 07, 05:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Malcolm Herring

Andrew wrote:
Is it possible to use the BT home Hub as a modem / router if I am with an
ISP other than BT?

Also I would to use the DMT tool to tweak the SNR margin; could somebody
tell me which firmware the home hub will need in order to work with the DMT
tool and where to download the firmware from.

Thanks in advance,
Andy

Andy,

Yes you can use another ISP with the HH. Underneath the BT
customizations is a Thomson Speedtouch and it can be configured to any
lan/wan setup, just like the others. Do this:

1. Download a copy of the CLI Reference Guide for any similar Thomson
ADSL Gateway. Read it!

2. Through the normal web GUI "Backup Configuration", save the
configuration. It will put a copy of "user.ini" on your browsing computer.

3. Edit this file for your particular ISP. The important sections a
[phone.ini] - Check the vpi/vci is correct for your ISP.
[atm.ini] - "encaps" & "ulp" must be correct.
[eth.ini] - only if you have bridged ethernet ATM, else blank.
[ppp.ini] - only if you have PPPoE or PPPoA, else blank.
[ip.ini] - if you have static IP, set up the interface here.
[dnsc.ini] & [dnss.ini] - if you have static DNS servers, add them
[nat.ini] - if your IP address is static, add it.

4. Use the web GUI "Restore Configuration" to restore this edited file.

The HH will restart & if you got it all correct, you will be on the
internet with your ISP. Use both the GUI ("Check Connectivity" is very
useful) & the CLI to check if you configurations have been set. The HH
will silently bounce things it cannot understand or are not valid & will
even revert to factory defaults if it gets it knickers in a twist.
Re-edit the file & re-Restore as many times as it takes. Patience is
required!

For the record, I have sucessfully reconfigured the HH. I have the
bruises to prove it!

Happy hacking!
Malcolm
Old March 4th 07, 04:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy

"Malcolm Herring" wrote in message
t...
Andrew wrote:
Is it possible to use the BT home Hub as a modem / router if I am with an
ISP other than BT?

Also I would to use the DMT tool to tweak the SNR margin; could somebody
tell me which firmware the home hub will need in order to work with the
DMT tool and where to download the firmware from.

Thanks in advance,
Andy

Andy,

Yes you can use another ISP with the HH. Underneath the BT customizations
is a Thomson Speedtouch and it can be configured to any lan/wan setup,
just like the others. Do this:
required!

For the record, I have sucessfully reconfigured the HH. I have the bruises
to prove it!

Happy hacking!
Malcolm

Malcolm,

Many thanks for this. I shoudl get the HH next week so will give this a try
and confirm ny success (or otherwise) in here.

Thanks again,

Andy