View Single Post
Old May 15th 18, 11:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_2_]
external usenet poster
Posts: 723
Default Extending FTTC from a master socket

Vir Campestris wrote:
Colleague of mine has just bought his first house. The master socket is
in a stupid place - what's the best kind of cable to run from there to
where his router will be? He'd like to keep the 80Mbps he gets from the
cab across the road.

(Cable fatness is not an issue. The first job was to strip a load of
walls back to get rid of the asbestos-ridden plaster - done by pros in
suits. Complete re-wire is the next project)

If you were to ask Openreach to do this they would extend the phone line
from the unfiltered connection on the faceplate filter using Cat5 cable,
terminated in a wall-mounted RJ45 socket.

You could do the same, however you might find it easier to install a
Cat5 cable with wall-mounted RJ45 sockets at each end; the one nearest
the incoming phone line being mounted adjacent to the master socket.
Then use a short Cat5 patch lead from the unfiltered output of the
faceplate filter to the Cat5 cable.

Use the cable provided with the router to connect the RJ11 socket on the
router (marked DSL or similar) to the RJ45 socket which extends the
unfiltered phone line. I know the RJ11 plug looks too small to fit the
RJ45 socket, but it does fit and is the way that Openreach do it.

Having said that, I've just done this for a friend who has FTTC, where
the unfiltered phone line is extended by about 10 metres using cat5
cable installed in the wall cavity. The router shows 25dB SNR margin
when plugged into the filtered faceplate, but only 10dB SNR margin when
connected via the CAT5 cable. Similarly the Attainable Rate drops from
105 Mbits/sec to about 60 Mbits/sec (not a problem since the service is
capped at 40Mbits/sec). So in this case extending the phone line with
Cat5 cable does degrade the service. But with the Cat5 cable installed
the router sits adjacent to the incoming phone line and the Cat5 cable
connects the router to a network switch in the "office" where the
computers and printer are located. Happily this location for the router
is better for wireless coverage through the house.

Graham J