Gudiance on unlocked VOIP adapters

Old March 4th 07, 02:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
harrogate3

Default Gudiance on unlocked VOIP adapters

Anyone have experience of unlocked VOIP adapters for use with a
'normal' phone?

I wish to use voip.co.uk but all of the adapters that I can find - and
that I think includes their own - are locked to the one system and
usually sell at rip-off prices. I would like to get an unlocked unit
such that if I change provider it is not a problem.

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old March 4th 07, 02:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Roger

"harrogate3" wrote in message
Anyone have experience of unlocked VOIP adapters for use with a
'normal' phone?

I wish to use voip.co.uk but all of the adapters that I can find - and
that I think includes their own - are locked to the one system and
usually sell at rip-off prices. I would like to get an unlocked unit
such that if I change provider it is not a problem.

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

I've bought sipuras/linksys in the past from broadbandbuyer.co.uk or ebay.

Old March 4th 07, 03:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Gordon Henderson

In article ,
harrogate3 wrote:
Anyone have experience of unlocked VOIP adapters for use with a
'normal' phone?

I wish to use voip.co.uk but all of the adapters that I can find - and
that I think includes their own - are locked to the one system and
usually sell at rip-off prices. I would like to get an unlocked unit
such that if I change provider it is not a problem.

Assuming you have an IP address of a remote SIP server, username/number
and password, then there are literally dozens of ATAs (and phones)
you can use. I don't think you looked too hard ;-)

Also, I don't know what you consider rip-off prices though. Expect to
pay from 35 upwards though. Eg have a look at:

http://www.voiptalk.org/products/Analogue+VoIP+Adaptors

Gordon
Old March 4th 07, 05:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
harrogate3

"Gordon Henderson" wrote in message
In article ,
harrogate3 wrote:
Anyone have experience of unlocked VOIP adapters for use with a
'normal' phone?

I wish to use voip.co.uk but all of the adapters that I can find -

and
that I think includes their own - are locked to the one system and
usually sell at rip-off prices. I would like to get an unlocked

unit
such that if I change provider it is not a problem.

Assuming you have an IP address of a remote SIP server,

username/number
and password, then there are literally dozens of ATAs (and phones)
you can use. I don't think you looked too hard ;-)

Also, I don't know what you consider rip-off prices though. Expect

pay from 35 upwards though. Eg have a look at:

http://www.voiptalk.org/products/Analogue+VoIP+Adaptors

Gordon

Actually I did look quite hard and indeed found that page, but the
operational descriptions are not always obvious - particularly they
don't say if the unit is unlocked as the text on some of them (the
grandstream 486 for example) implies that they are locked.

I think I have decided on the Grandstream 286. It will do what I want
and the instruction booklet (found elsewhere) seems straightforward
enough.

Thanks anyway.

Old March 4th 07, 05:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Gordon Henderson

harrogate3 wrote:
[...]

http://www.voiptalk.org/products/Gra...dytone+ATA-486

Can you point out where on that page it implies it's locked? I've bought 4
of these off that site recently, and the slightest hint of the possibility
they they might be locked to anything didn't even cross my mind.. (and
they weren't)

I think I have decided on the Grandstream 286. It will do what I want
and the instruction booklet (found elsewhere) seems straightforward
enough.

Don't forget the RJ11 adapter - it'll give you a socket that'll let you
plug your ordinary BT phone into.

Gordon
Old March 4th 07, 06:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Tim

harrogate3 wrote:
Anyone have experience of unlocked VOIP adapters for use with a
'normal' phone?

For a can't go wrong plain ATA, buy a linksys PAP2T.

http://www.provoip.co.uk/product_inf...products_id=42

[and many many other suppliers]

Beware of ones on ebay, because there are an awful lot of ex vonage ones
around.

If you just want a SIP phone to use, then the Siemens C460IP Dect phone
gives you a nice phone at reasonable price.

If you want to mess, learn, use lots of providers, see how things work
then buy a Snom phone.

Tim