Bulldog - will a LLU line fix my problems?

Old March 4th 07, 11:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
jaminja

Default Bulldog - will a LLU line fix my problems?

Hi folks...

I'm currently with a crappy ISP, have been for a while but didn't mind
because it's cheap. I recently moved about 2 miles and as a result
I've gone from Chester North to Chester Central exchange (distance
about 1.5 miles - same as before). The line is bloody awful, I get
receive att of 60-63 receive margin 9-12 and tx 30-33/11-13. It seems
to vary depending on the weather (!), spoke to BT about it and there's
nothing they can do unless my wonderful ISP talk to BT Wholesale which
ain't gonna happen anytime soon. Anyways they didn't think I should be
getting such a varying rate - my typical d/l speed is 14Kb/s (but u/l
30Kb/s+!). This is compared to literally down the road, same provider,
same distance from exchange, ~200Kb/s which is far too fast for me
anyway.

I spoke to a decent (read: any other) ISP who reckoned it would be
better to get this line problem sorted before I move to them - but
things aren't happenning. BT won't help, my ISP can't/won't help,
can't even cancel the bloody service if I want to......

Since this exchange supports LLU, I could get a Bulldog line
installed, would I be correct in assuming this would be a separate
physical line? would I have a good chance of getting a shall I say
less troublesome line? I don't care about 8Mbps+ connects, just want a
reliable connection. Would BT Wholesale do anything independent of my
ISP (oh go on - it's Demon) if I were to whinge about the voice
quality/random disconnects etc.?

Regards,

Jamin

Old March 5th 07, 12:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

jaminja wrote:

Hi folks...

I'm currently with a crappy ISP

We need names ! Don't think you can get away with that !

Graham

Old March 5th 07, 12:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

jaminja wrote:

The line is bloody awful, I get receive att of 60-63 receive margin 9-12 and
tx 30-33/11-13. It seems to vary depending on the weather (!), spoke to BT
about it and there's nothing they can do unless my wonderful ISP talk to BT
Wholesale which
ain't gonna happen anytime soon.

Well actually there's nothing any ISP can do about those figures either.

Rotten isn't it ? Your better option right now is NTL.... ooops Virgin Media or
you can wait 6-10 years for when BT get fibre optical cables to you.

Bye bye !

Graham

Old March 5th 07, 06:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Motion

"Eeyore" wrote in message

jaminja wrote:

Hi folks...

I'm currently with a crappy ISP

We need names ! Don't think you can get away with that !

IP trace came back with
dslaccess.co.uk ??

Old March 5th 07, 08:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
WCZ

"Eeyore" wrote in message

jaminja wrote:

The line is bloody awful, I get receive att of 60-63 receive margin 9-12
and
tx 30-33/11-13. It seems to vary depending on the weather (!), spoke to
BT
about it and there's nothing they can do unless my wonderful ISP talk to
BT
Wholesale which
ain't gonna happen anytime soon.

Well actually there's nothing any ISP can do about those figures either.

Rotten isn't it ? Your better option right now is NTL.... ooops Virgin
Media or
you can wait 6-10 years for when BT get fibre optical cables to you.

It's an absolute disgrace IMO that the only way to get a more reliable
faster broadband in your house is to actually move house. I'm stuck at
0.5Mb due to line length. It's just under 3km to the exchange following all
the main roads yet somehow BT have managed to use 7km of cable.

Bye bye !

Graham

Old March 5th 07, 09:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter

On 4 Mar 2007 15:29:56 -0800, "jaminja"
wrote:

Since this exchange supports LLU, I could get a Bulldog line
installed, would I be correct in assuming this would be a separate
physical line?

No, you would be wrong to think that. Bulldog (or indeed any other LLU
provider) will use the dame physical pair of wires from the exchange
to your address - they will hang their own equipment onto the pair at
the exchange end - that's what LLU means.

--
Cheers

Peter

Please remove the invalid to reply
Old March 5th 07, 04:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
jaminja

Motion wrote:

I'm currently with a crappy ISP

We need names ! Don't think you can get away with that !

IP trace came back with
dslaccess.co.uk ??

Really? . I dropped the name of my wonderful ISP at the bottom of my
post (Demon). I'm chuffed the IP trace comes back dslaccess.co.uk -
used to be demonhome.something. Actually in the old days ISTR getting
something.demon.co.uk with fixed IP.

Regards,

Jamin

Old March 5th 07, 04:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
jaminja

Peter wrote:

No, you would be wrong to think that. Bulldog (or indeed any other LLU
provider) will use the dame physical pair of wires from the exchange
to your address - they will hang their own equipment onto the pair at
the exchange end - that's what LLU means.

Right. So pointless then.. neither would changing ISP make any
difference by the sound of it. I will probably move house before too
long .

Any way of getting BT to physically install something new? If I order
another PSTN or ISDN line would they simply route through existing
crappy cabling.. or is there a slim chance of improvement? If not have
to look at satellite link, heard it's not ridiculously expensive just
a pain with the high latency - but since my uplink is faster than my
downlink over ADSL this would work quite well.

Regards,

Jamin