painless sky install

Old March 5th 07, 01:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

Default painless sky install

About half an hour ago the phone rang and the line went dead. Broadband
still active. 5 mins later phone came back on and broadband went dead.

Plugged in Sky router and it did a loving wink at me and then went live.
Connection a breeze, wireless a breeze, xbox 360 now has OPEN nat instead of
MODERATE (that could have been my old router being stricter).

Everything seems okay.

Router synching at 20-25% more than old Plusnet line. Used to sync at
2.7mb, now its syncing at around 3.2. This is LLU ??
Not bad for someone 6km from the exchange with a 59-63db :-)

Old March 5th 07, 02:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"Beck" wrote in message ...
About half an hour ago the phone rang and the line went dead. Broadband
still active. 5 mins later phone came back on and broadband went dead.

Plugged in Sky router and it did a loving wink at me and then went live.
Connection a breeze, wireless a breeze, xbox 360 now has OPEN nat instead
of
MODERATE (that could have been my old router being stricter).

Everything seems okay.

Router synching at 20-25% more than old Plusnet line. Used to sync at
2.7mb, now its syncing at around 3.2. This is LLU ??
Not bad for someone 6km from the exchange with a 59-63db :-)

Actual this netgear router is throwing up some interesting statistics.

Back with Plusnet using D-Link router I was getting approximately the
following:

Sync speed 2.7mb/sec
Downstream 59db
Upstream - 63db
Noise 4db (sometimes)

Now with this router getting:

Connection speed - 3040kbps down, 416kbsec up
downstream 63.5db
upstream 31.5db
Noise 7.8db down, 13db up

Old March 5th 07, 02:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Great Eastern

Beck wrote:
Router synching at 20-25% more than old Plusnet line. Used to sync at
2.7mb, now its syncing at around 3.2. This is LLU ??
Not bad for someone 6km from the exchange with a 59-63db :-)

Is your exchange one which was already unbundled or one which they are
doing over the next few months?

From what people have reported, it seems to make a difference.
If going from IP Stream to Sky IP Stream (Temp until Exchange RFS) then
the router can be late arriving etc, however going from BT IP Stream to
Sky LLU seems to be easier with everything going as planned!
Old March 5th 07, 02:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"Great Eastern" wrote in message
Beck wrote:
Router synching at 20-25% more than old Plusnet line. Used to sync at
2.7mb, now its syncing at around 3.2. This is LLU ??
Not bad for someone 6km from the exchange with a 59-63db :-)

Is your exchange one which was already unbundled or one which they are
doing over the next few months?

From what people have reported, it seems to make a difference.
If going from IP Stream to Sky IP Stream (Temp until Exchange RFS) then
the router can be late arriving etc, however going from BT IP Stream to
Sky LLU seems to be easier with everything going as planned!

Not sure
Here is my exchange
http://www.samknows.com/broadband/ex...hp?ecode=THBEN

Old March 5th 07, 02:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

Beck wrote:
"Beck" wrote in message
[...]

Be prepared to softboot it tonight, you know when, as all traffic just
stops. After this reboot you should be fairly stable.

By the way it doesn't look like you are ADSL2, yet as your upload
speed is more the MAX than ADSL2. Don't worry it will come to you in
a week or to, the first you'll know is that the router reboots (well
mine did) & then all speeds should have improved, but you'll have to
do the evening softboot again , for some funny reason the button is
under diagnostics.

Old March 5th 07, 02:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

Great Eastern wrote:
Beck wrote:
Router synching at 20-25% more than old Plusnet line. Used to
sync at 2.7mb, now its syncing at around 3.2. This is LLU ??
Not bad for someone 6km from the exchange with a 59-63db :-)

Is your exchange one which was already unbundled or one which they
are doing over the next few months?

From what people have reported, it seems to make a difference.
If going from IP Stream to Sky IP Stream (Temp until Exchange RFS)
then the router can be late arriving etc, however going from BT IP
Stream to Sky LLU seems to be easier with everything going as
planned!

They can be a right pain when it doesn't though!

Old March 5th 07, 02:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"kraftee" wrote in message

Be prepared to softboot it tonight, you know when, as all traffic just
stops. After this reboot you should be fairly stable.

A friend has pre-warned me there might be troubles in the evening and to
reboot the router.

By the way it doesn't look like you are ADSL2, yet as your upload speed is
more the MAX than ADSL2. Don't worry it will come to you in a week or to,
the first you'll know is that the router reboots (well mine did) & then
all speeds should have improved, but you'll have to do the evening
softboot again , for some funny reason the button is under diagnostics.

Does everyone get ADSL2 then?
I would imagine even with high types of ADSL I probably would not get much
higher speeds because of the distance of my line?

Old March 5th 07, 03:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Great Eastern

Beck wrote:
Not sure
Here is my exchange
http://www.samknows.com/broadband/ex...hp?ecode=THBEN

According to that you are on LLU.

My exchange for example has no LLU offered, however Sky's site claims I
can get the normally £17 BT service for £5 as it will be ready soon.

If only Sky would accept my phone number, keeps rejecting it as an LLU
Adsl Service, but its not (PlusNet via IP Stream, fixed at 2mbps as I
never bothered with the upto 8mbps thing)
Old March 5th 07, 03:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

Beck wrote:
"kraftee" wrote in message

Be prepared to softboot it tonight, you know when, as all traffic
just stops. After this reboot you should be fairly stable.

A friend has pre-warned me there might be troubles in the evening
and to reboot the router.

By the way it doesn't look like you are ADSL2, yet as your upload
speed is more the MAX than ADSL2. Don't worry it will come to you
in a week or to, the first you'll know is that the router reboots
(well mine did) & then all speeds should have improved, but you'll
have to do the evening softboot again , for some funny reason the
button is under diagnostics.

Does everyone get ADSL2 then?
I would imagine even with high types of ADSL I probably would not
get much higher speeds because of the distance of my line?

Depends on which service you are paying for

Old March 5th 07, 03:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

Beck wrote:
Not sure
Here is my exchange
http://www.samknows.com/broadband/ex...hp?ecode=THBEN

According to that you are on LLU.

My exchange for example has no LLU offered, however Sky's site claims I
can get the normally £17 BT service for £5 as it will be ready soon.

If only Sky would accept my phone number, keeps rejecting it as an LLU
Adsl Service, but its not (PlusNet via IP Stream, fixed at 2mbps as I
never bothered with the upto 8mbps thing)

Well I have just come from Plusnet so theres not a problem with them in that
respect. Probably the ****ty BT database.