Is Barablu SIP compatible

Old March 5th 07, 03:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Salvador Freemanson

Default Is Barablu SIP compatible

Hello,
I've just come accross Barablu. But their web site is full of PR hype
with no real tech info.
As far as I can tell, it is a VOIP client for mobile phones. But is it
yet another propretary system like Skype, MSN et al, or is it based on
something standard like SIP ?
Old March 5th 07, 09:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Mon, 05 Mar 2007 16:55:14 +0100, Salvador Freemanson
wrote:

Hello,
I've just come accross Barablu. But their web site is full of PR hype
with no real tech info.
As far as I can tell, it is a VOIP client for mobile phones. But is it
yet another propretary system like Skype, MSN et al, or is it based on
something standard like SIP ?

Afaik it is a Skype style service.
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old March 5th 07, 09:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Salvador Freemanson

wrote:

Hello,
I've just come accross Barablu. But their web site is full of PR hype
with no real tech info.
As far as I can tell, it is a VOIP client for mobile phones. But is it
yet another propretary system like Skype, MSN et al, or is it based on
something standard like SIP ?

Afaik it is a Skype style service.
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

So is it compatible with Skype. Or would I only be able to call other
people with Barablu software (plus the Barablu equivalent of Skype Out)?
Old March 6th 07, 10:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

wrote:

Hello,
I've just come accross Barablu. But their web site is full of PR hype
with no real tech info.
As far as I can tell, it is a VOIP client for mobile phones. But is it
yet another propretary system like Skype, MSN et al, or is it based on
something standard like SIP ?

Afaik it is a Skype style service.
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

So is it compatible with Skype. Or would I only be able to call other
people with Barablu software (plus the Barablu equivalent of Skype Out)?

No. I didn't say it was compatible with Skype just that I THINK it is
Skype style. Skype is a proprietary system of their own. I suspect
that Barablu has their own incompatible system also but I am not sure
about this. They only talk, on the site, about instant messaging Skype
users.
You can call standard phones, see he
http://www.barablu.com/sh_features/m...r_rates_us.asp
However, unless you are compelled, by your connection, to use a PC to
make your calls why would you want to do that?
If you have a WiFi phone you can usually use that to connect to SIP,
ask on here and uk.telecom.mobile for information on SIP
compatibility of your phone. SIP gives you a choice of hundreds of
providers who can offer you cheaper calls than Barablu.
You can do all with SIP that you can do with Barablu. If you wish you
can have a softphone for your computer or a SIP phone or ATA to
operate on an internet connection WITHOUT any PC.
IMHO iff you are starting up then you should go for SIP, don't tie
yourself to one operator, you'll have much more choice and cheaper
calls.
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.