Which would be the best VOIP for a low user please?

Old March 6th 07, 10:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
That Man!

Default Which would be the best VOIP for a low user please?

Just bought an ADSL router that has a facility for using ordinary telephones
to route via any VOIP provider.

I only make a few UK calls every week, so, my usage is pretty low.

Can any recommend a good provider please?

Brian (Huddersfield)

Old March 6th 07, 10:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Tue, 06 Mar 2007 10:04:25 GMT, "That Man!"
wrote:

Just bought an ADSL router that has a facility for using ordinary telephones
to route via any VOIP provider.

I only make a few UK calls every week, so, my usage is pretty low.

Can any recommend a good provider please?

Brian (Huddersfield)

Good to see someone on here from my part of the world :-)

You could try www.vyke.co.uk
NO incoming number - only for outgoing calls.
If your usage is low deposit EURO10 instead of GBP10.
It supposedly expires after 6 months but that'll give you about 12
calls a week @ 2p/call to Europe and the US.
Vyke have additional services that may also interest you.

For better quality calls, quick connection and an incoming number
www.voip.co.uk
Pay 2/month and get all your off peak UK calls included (up to 1
hour/call).
You'll get a geographic number, for your area, for incoming calls.
Peak calls to UK at 2p/call (up to 1 hour per call).
Only downside is their voicemail isn't up to much.

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old March 6th 07, 11:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Roderick Stewart

wrote:

Just bought an ADSL router that has a facility for using ordinary telephones
to route via any VOIP provider.

I only make a few UK calls every week, so, my usage is pretty low.

Can any recommend a good provider please?

Change to Orange Broadband. No need to subscribe to any separate
service. VOIP is included in the price of the broadband service, and
they even provide a router, so you can sell the one you already have.

Rod.
Old March 6th 07, 01:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
That Man!

wrote:

Just bought an ADSL router that has a facility for using ordinary
telephones
to route via any VOIP provider.

I only make a few UK calls every week, so, my usage is pretty low.

Can any recommend a good provider please?

Change to Orange Broadband. No need to subscribe to any separate
service. VOIP is included in the price of the broadband service, and
they even provide a router, so you can sell the one you already have.

Rod.

Thank you to all that replied, I'll look into that.

Thanks again

Old March 6th 07, 06:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

That Man! formulated the question :
Change to Orange Broadband.

Thank you to all that replied, I'll look into that.

You'll wish you hadn't

Old March 6th 07, 07:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Jono" wrote in message

That Man! formulated the question :
Change to Orange Broadband.

Thank you to all that replied, I'll look into that.

You'll wish you hadn't

Seconded. Dare I suggest www.sipgate.co.uk ..? (Cue Ron Chew..!)

Ivor

Old March 6th 07, 07:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Tue, 06 Mar 2007 18:35:03 GMT, Jono
wrote:

That Man! formulated the question :
Change to Orange Broadband.

Thank you to all that replied, I'll look into that.

You'll wish you hadn't

From what I have read, whilst some people will be happy with these new
Broadband/phone conglomerates, many are not. So, I agree with the
sentiment in that caution should be exercised. That's my advice if
anyone asks me. There is a lot of dust to settle yet. Some of these
deals are good on the surface but not everyone gets the deal they
expect.
IMHO there is a lot to be said for dropping your landline and going
for Virgin Media cable broadband - then using voip. GBP18/month + your
voip.
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old March 6th 07, 08:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Herman

"Brian A" wrote in message
IMHO there is a lot to be said for dropping your landline and going
for Virgin Media cable broadband - then using voip. GBP18/month + your
voip.
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

I agree, with the right equipment and the right provider, this should
definitely be considered, although obviously after trialling first...

However, you do also have to consider other deals around. I recently got to
Virgin retentions who ended up giving me 10MB broadband + landline with 24
hour free landline calls for GBP20/month (price matching Orange and Talk
Talk). Hard to justify VoIP costs here unless you spend a significant
amount on mobile/international and possibly NG.

As it happens I still use VoIP because of the international calls costs, and
I had already made the investment in the equipment. There are also the
"value-added" benefits you can get with VoIP, again dependant on provider
and equipment.

Old March 6th 07, 08:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Tue, 06 Mar 2007 20:15:31 GMT, "Herman"
wrote:

"Brian A" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Apart from stuff like voicemail, caller display etc. I find the new
facility on Voxalot, to divert calls to voicemail, at certain times
very handy. I think, at sometime, I might find the timed call
forwarding useful too.
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old March 6th 07, 08:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

wrote in message

On Tue, 6 Mar 2007 19:10:27 -0000, "Ivor Jones"
wrote:

"Jono" wrote in message

That Man! formulated the question :
Change to Orange Broadband.

Thank you to all that replied, I'll look into that.

You'll wish you hadn't

Seconded. Dare I suggest www.sipgate.co.uk ..? (Cue Ron
Chew..!)

Ivor

No you may not Ivor bout time you recommended a decent
provider and one that is in THIS country not miles away
in Europe that provides no means of contact except by
email .

Right on cue, Ron, well done..! I knew I could depend on you..!

Right, time for the pub :-)

Ivor