Advice please getting Voip to work.

Old March 7th 07, 09:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
harrogate3

Default Advice please getting Voip to work.

Greetings,

I have just signed up with voip.co.uk and pending getting an ATA I'm
trying to use the X-Lite softphone (also I note supplied with
Sipgate.)

Curiously it works perfectly with incoming calls - ringing, good both
way audio, clears down OK - but I cannot, try as I may, get it to work
outgoing. When I cold start X-Lite the screen shows 'discovering
network' and then a few seconds later 'registering' followed finally
by 'ready' and my account number.

If I try to male a call it says 'calling' but after a while goes to
'disconnected - request timeout'

Voip sent me a set-up file for X-lite which I had largely got right
already. I am using ZoneAlarm (under XP Pro) as firewall to which I
have added voip as a trusted site, and I am running through a Belkin
F5D7230-4 wireless router although this particular PC is hard wired.
My ISP is ntlworld.

Anyone got any advice?

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old March 8th 07, 12:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"harrogate3" wrote in message

Greetings,

I have just signed up with voip.co.uk and pending getting
an ATA I'm trying to use the X-Lite softphone (also I
note supplied with Sipgate.)

If you open a Sipgate account you can download a pre-configured version of
X-Lite. Maybe worth a try to see if it's a provider issue.

Curiously it works perfectly with incoming calls -
ringing, good both way audio, clears down OK - but I
cannot, try as I may, get it to work outgoing. When I
cold start X-Lite the screen shows 'discovering network'
and then a few seconds later 'registering' followed
finally by 'ready' and my account number.

If I try to male a call it says 'calling' but after a
while goes to 'disconnected - request timeout'

Voip sent me a set-up file for X-lite which I had largely
got right already. I am using ZoneAlarm (under XP Pro) as
firewall to which I have added voip as a trusted site,
and I am running through a Belkin F5D7230-4 wireless
router although this particular PC is hard wired. My ISP
is ntlworld.

Anyone got any advice?

Have you enabled port forwarding from the router to the IP of the computer
you're running X-Lite on..? Try putting that machine in the router's DMZ
if it has one.

Ivor