Old July 29th 18, 05:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham.[_3_]

Default VoIP with existing wiring and an NTE5c

Graham. wrote:
Andrew Benham wrote:

I'm planning to switch my landline number over to a VoIP provider

Careful you don't cease your VDSL service by doing so.

Yes indeed, I was told years ago that there is an Openreach "product"
which will renumber a line rather than cease it (along with the xDSL)
but as far as I can see, the likes of Sipgate and voipfone don't do it
that way

Andrews and Arnold can do it (for 42).

Theo

Thanks Theo. I found this which seems bang up to date
https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...bers-voip.html

The A&A website confused me for a while, but I think I've got it
worked out now.
My mistake was to start he
https://order.aa.net.uk/chaos2telephony.html
and select "Port in an existing number"
you then get these off-putting warnings
&
We can port numbers to our VoIP platform from BT and some other
operators. Porting a number will stop your existing service.
&
Confirm you understand that this will stop the existing phone line
working, moving the number to VoIP, and this will stop any associated
broadband from working too.
&
I understand that porting a number will normally cease the existing
line and therefore cease any associated broadband services.

What I needed to do was read this
https://aa.net.uk/broadband-phoneline.html
then order a new line.
Tell them you have an existing line
and a few clicks later is the all important option to:

Move line to A&A for broadband use only (no calls possible) and port
existing number to VoIP service for 11.20/month

**The totals for their chepeast naked ADSL are 57 setup and 36.20
pcm**
https://www.flickr.com/gp/g3zvt/P009k3

I am currently paying 41.04 for line rental (Post Office) and 21.01
for Sky Broadband
**a total of 41.04pcm**
That makes A&A 4.84 cheaper and the saving will pay for the setup
charge in one year.

Downside is the 200GB/month quota, I'm not used to that, I doubt it
will affect me but I'm not sure.

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%