Q: When on mute, voipfone drops the call after 5 minutes ???

Old March 8th 07, 05:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
damn-it

Default Q: When on mute, voipfone drops the call after 5 minutes ???

Guys,

I have this weird problem.

I just got my snom 300, via voipfone, and during a conference call, were
I was on mute, my phone simply ended the communication after a while
(about 5 minutes). This already happened few times, and basically make
voipfone unusable on conference call...

Had a chat with their support and the answer was as follow:
"Yes, if there is no audio coming from either end of the call, it will
be dropped."

What I see is that even when people are talking on the line, and I am on
mute, the call is dropped.

Any clues? (Oh, and this is not a credit issue....)

Any good alternative provider you can recommend?

Thanks
Old March 9th 07, 12:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Tim

damn-it wrote:

Any good alternative provider you can recommend?

It is nothing to do with voipfone.

And nothing to do with the Snom phone.

It is a deficiency in the SIP/RTP protocol.

Mute means one way audio. If the RTP sequence rolls over while you are
on mute, you lose the call.

I think. Could be other things too.

If you could get a pcap/ethereal trace of when the call drops out, I'd
know for sure.

Tim
(been to the pub, so I don't guarantee the above answer)
Old March 9th 07, 07:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
damn-it

Tim wrote:
damn-it wrote:

Any good alternative provider you can recommend?

It is nothing to do with voipfone.

And nothing to do with the Snom phone.

It is a deficiency in the SIP/RTP protocol.

Mute means one way audio. If the RTP sequence rolls over while you are
on mute, you lose the call.

I think. Could be other things too.

If you could get a pcap/ethereal trace of when the call drops out, I'd
know for sure.

Tim
(been to the pub, so I don't guarantee the above answer)

Very interesting point. This is mentioned here as well:
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/we.../msg09638.html

So beer is fine...

JM
Old March 9th 07, 09:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Tony Mountifield

In article ,
damn-it wrote:
Guys,

I have this weird problem.

I just got my snom 300, via voipfone, and during a conference call, were
I was on mute, my phone simply ended the communication after a while
(about 5 minutes). This already happened few times, and basically make
voipfone unusable on conference call...

Had a chat with their support and the answer was as follow:
"Yes, if there is no audio coming from either end of the call, it will
be dropped."

What I see is that even when people are talking on the line, and I am on
mute, the call is dropped.

Have a look at the configuration of your phone for something like "Silence
Suppression". If it is turned on, try turning it off.

The problem is likely that when on mute, the RTP stream from your phone
is turned off because you are silent. After 5 min, the remote end thinks
you're not there any more. With Silence Suppression disabled, the phone
should continue to send an RTP stream containing silence. Hopefully!

Cheers
Tony
--
Tony Mountifield
Work: - http://www.softins.co.uk
Old March 9th 07, 10:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
ian

In message , damn-it
writes

What I see is that even when people are talking on the line, and I am
on mute, the call is dropped.

Any clues? (Oh, and this is not a credit issue....)

I have an SNOM 300 that I use on voipfone. I set up a call just now,
with a radio near the phone at one end (to provide continuous
"conference" audio), and I muted the other end (to inhibit all audio).
There was no break in the connection for over 20 minutes, after which
time I manually terminated the call.

On your SNOM 300, I wonder if you have an inappropriate setting for the
"Presence Inactivity Timeout" (under Preferences Privacy Settings)?

--
Ian
Old March 9th 07, 11:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
damn-it

ian wrote:
In message , damn-it
writes

What I see is that even when people are talking on the line, and I am
on mute, the call is dropped.

Any clues? (Oh, and this is not a credit issue....)

I have an SNOM 300 that I use on voipfone. I set up a call just now,
with a radio near the phone at one end (to provide continuous
"conference" audio), and I muted the other end (to inhibit all audio).
There was no break in the connection for over 20 minutes, after which
time I manually terminated the call.

On your SNOM 300, I wonder if you have an inappropriate setting for the
"Presence Inactivity Timeout" (under Preferences Privacy Settings)?

Thanks Ian

Presence Inactivity Timeout (in minutes): 45

Surely this is not that... Thanks for trying.... MMmmhh.... let me try
this myself with another dummy conf call....

will Let you know....

JM
Old March 9th 07, 11:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Tim

ian wrote:
On your SNOM 300, I wonder if you have an inappropriate setting for the
"Presence Inactivity Timeout" (under Preferences Privacy Settings)?

That setting isn't anything to do with audio. It is to do with presence.

I'm wondering now if the original poster has a SIP ALG in his router
which is killing the call. That the router can't cope with one way
RTP(audio).

Tim

Old March 9th 07, 11:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
damn-it

ian wrote:
In message , damn-it
writes

What I see is that even when people are talking on the line, and I am
on mute, the call is dropped.

Any clues? (Oh, and this is not a credit issue....)

I have an SNOM 300 that I use on voipfone. I set up a call just now,
with a radio near the phone at one end (to provide continuous
"conference" audio), and I muted the other end (to inhibit all audio).
There was no break in the connection for over 20 minutes, after which
time I manually terminated the call.

On your SNOM 300, I wonder if you have an inappropriate setting for the
"Presence Inactivity Timeout" (under Preferences Privacy Settings)?

Ok, just retried, and was kicked out after 3:14.

real sad....

now trying with the Silence Suppression:On.

will see.

Thx

Old March 9th 07, 11:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
ian

In message , Tim
writes
ian wrote:
On your SNOM 300, I wonder if you have an inappropriate setting for
the "Presence Inactivity Timeout" (under Preferences Privacy
Settings)?

That setting isn't anything to do with audio. It is to do with presence.

Hmmm. I suspected it might not be relevant (especially as my setting is
15 minutes, yet the test call I mentioned lasted for over 20 minutes).

That being the case, what exactly does "presence" mean?

--
Ian
Old March 9th 07, 11:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
damn-it

Tony Mountifield wrote:
In article ,
damn-it wrote:
[...]

Hi Tony,

Silence Suppression was Off.... so I set it up to On, and the Mute key
doesn't work anymore....

But call seems to hold.... (I guess this is the same as not being on

Is there a mean to configure a keep_alive on RTP?

Thanks
JM