Vonage loses phone patent dispute

Old March 9th 07, 02:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
^^artnada^^

Default Vonage loses phone patent dispute

"Internet phone company Vonage has lost a patent case that could threaten
phone services for its 2.2 million customers.
A US jury ordered Vonage to pay $58m ($30m) to rival Verizon for infringing
three patents, plus royalties of 5.5% of future sales.
Verizon has now asked for an injunction that would stop Vonage from
connecting its customers to landline telephones."

Looks like that could be us screwed up then!

Old March 9th 07, 03:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"^^artnada^^" wrote in message

"Internet phone company Vonage has lost a patent case
that could threaten phone services for its 2.2 million
customers. A US jury ordered Vonage to pay $58m ($30m) to rival
Verizon for infringing three patents, plus royalties of
5.5% of future sales. Verizon has now asked for an injunction that would
stop
Vonage from connecting its customers to landline
telephones."

Looks like that could be us screwed up then!

Only if you were daft enough to sign up to Vonage in the first place.

Ivor

Old March 9th 07, 03:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
^^artnada^^

Ivor Jones wrote:
"^^artnada^^" wrote in message

"Internet phone company Vonage has lost a patent case
that could threaten phone services for its 2.2 million
customers. A US jury ordered Vonage to pay $58m ($30m) to rival
Verizon for infringing three patents, plus royalties of
5.5% of future sales. Verizon has now asked for an injunction that would
stop
Vonage from connecting its customers to landline
telephones."

Looks like that could be us screwed up then!

Only if you were daft enough to sign up to Vonage in the first place.

Ivor

Nothing daft about signing up to Vonage. As a telco they have served me
well. Had I known about this possible outcome then maybe I would not have
signed up to them.

I await to see what may happen to them in the future.

Old March 9th 07, 06:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
RH

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message
Looks like that could be us screwed up then!

Only if you were daft enough to sign up to Vonage in the first place.

Ivor

What does Vonage do that is so special, that Voipfone, VOIP and even SIPGATE
does not do? If Vonage has been hit with this , then maybe other SIP VOIP
providers are next.

I am sure if any organisation believed they hold the patent for residential
VOIP to PSTN termination, they would be nuts not to go and cash in on the
patent and take every VOIP provider to task over it.

In this case where a telco owns the patent, they have even more incentive to
try and cash in

Old March 9th 07, 06:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

^^artnada^^ used his keyboard to write :
"Internet phone company Vonage has lost a patent case that could threaten
phone services for its 2.2 million customers.
A US jury ordered Vonage to pay $58m ($30m) to rival Verizon for infringing
three patents, plus royalties of 5.5% of future sales.
Verizon has now asked for an injunction that would stop Vonage from
connecting its customers to landline telephones."

Looks like that could be us screwed up then!

"Vonage had "done very well with our patents and our technology for a
number of years""

"The $58m payout was about as high as Vonage's quarterly losses"

How does losing $58m a quarter equate to "done very well"?

Old March 9th 07, 06:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Herman

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message

"^^artnada^^" wrote in message

"Internet phone company Vonage has lost a patent case
that could threaten phone services for its 2.2 million
customers. A US jury ordered Vonage to pay $58m ($30m) to rival
Verizon for infringing three patents, plus royalties of
5.5% of future sales. Verizon has now asked for an injunction that would
stop
Vonage from connecting its customers to landline
telephones."

Looks like that could be us screwed up then!

Only if you were daft enough to sign up to Vonage in the first place.

Ivor

I think we have had enough of these punch and judy arguments...

Old March 9th 07, 08:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Fri, 9 Mar 2007 18:43:06 -0000, "RH"
wrote:

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message
Looks like that could be us screwed up then!

Only if you were daft enough to sign up to Vonage in the first place.

Ivor

What does Vonage do that is so special, that Voipfone, VOIP and even SIPGATE
does not do? If Vonage has been hit with this , then maybe other SIP VOIP
providers are next.

Exactly my thoughts. What are these patents that have been infringed?
Vonage is only a SIP voip provider, as you say, and it using the same
technology as other SIP providers.

I am sure if any organisation believed they hold the patent for residential
VOIP to PSTN termination, they would be nuts not to go and cash in on the
patent and take every VOIP provider to task over it.

Yes but it would put up the cost for everyone, probably put some
providers out of business, a would stifle the competition betwen
landline and voip providers - that is probably what is really behind
this.

This is like Microsoft and its OTT DRM in Vista - we all know what is
behind that - Microsoft want to control movie downloads - they quite
correctly see this as the future - the furture isn't blueray and HDDVD
it's downloads.

What Verizon, with mobile interests etc, like Microsoft, are trying
to do is to achive control and stifle competition.

If anything like this is likely to affect the many hundreds of other
voip providers, I'd like to see Governments outside of the U.S. show
them 2 fingers like the Russians do with allofMP3.com

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old March 9th 07, 09:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Fri, 09 Mar 2007 18:50:34 GMT, Jono
wrote:

^^artnada^^ used his keyboard to write :
"Internet phone company Vonage has lost a patent case that could threaten
phone services for its 2.2 million customers.
A US jury ordered Vonage to pay $58m ($30m) to rival Verizon for infringing
three patents, plus royalties of 5.5% of future sales.
Verizon has now asked for an injunction that would stop Vonage from
connecting its customers to landline telephones."

Looks like that could be us screwed up then!

"Vonage had "done very well with our patents and our technology for a
number of years""

"The $58m payout was about as high as Vonage's quarterly losses"

How does losing $58m a quarter equate to "done very well"?

Here's more from the Register:-
http://tinyurl.com/2ue9zf
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old March 10th 07, 01:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"RH" wrote in message

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message
Looks like that could be us screwed up then!

Only if you were daft enough to sign up to Vonage in
the first place. Ivor

What does Vonage do that is so special, that Voipfone,
VOIP and even SIPGATE does not do? If Vonage has been hit
with this , then maybe other SIP VOIP providers are next.

My dislike of Vonage is twofold - one, their monthly charge is IMHO
excessive and two they have a nasty habit of locking their ATA's.

Ivor

Old March 10th 07, 07:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Herman

"Ivor sucks" "=?x-user-defined?Q? @ ?=" wrote in message
On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 01:56:29 -0000, Ivor Jones wrote:

My dislike of Vonage is twofold - one, their monthly charge is IMHO
excessive and two they have a nasty habit of locking their ATA's.

My dislike of Ivor is onefold. He's just an anti-Vonage propaganda
puppet.

Puppet? brings me back to the punch and judy theme. sort it out guys.