Advice please: VOIP newbie

Old March 10th 07, 03:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ian Richardson

Default Advice please: VOIP newbie

I'm looking to replace our NTL telephone service with a VOIP one using
the NTL broadband connection I've got.

I guess I could use an analogue telephone adapter (ATA), and use my
existing PSTN-based DECT answerphone.

I'm using a Linksys WRT54G router flashed with [email protected] DD-WRT
(so I could then use a SIP-enabled wifi phone for around the house), but
as the cost of a standalone ATA appears to be about as much as a
replacement wireless router with built-in ATA, I'm also up for any
suggestions on replacing the router (as long as I can also flash it with
DD-WRT).

The only pain is that I also have a Sky HD box connected to the existing
phone line. Rather than replace the existing wired extension with an
alternative, it looks like I could use a wireless phone extender
(specifically the one advertised on
http://www.netshop.co.uk/productcate...tegoryid=55456, as
most sites claim that alternatives don't work with Sky+ or SkyHD
boxes). Unless, of course, anyone knows differently.

Oh, and is there a way of doing this such that my existing NTL telephone
number could be used with the VOIP provider?

Thanks,

Ian
Old March 10th 07, 04:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

Ian Richardson presented the following explanation :
I'm looking to replace our NTL telephone service with a VOIP one using the
NTL broadband connection I've got.

I guess I could use an analogue telephone adapter (ATA), and use my existing
PSTN-based DECT answerphone.

Yep.

I'm using a Linksys WRT54G router flashed with [email protected] DD-WRT (so I
could then use a SIP-enabled wifi phone for around the house), but as the
cost of a standalone ATA appears to be about as much as a replacement
wireless router with built-in ATA, I'm also up for any suggestions on
replacing the router (as long as I can also flash it with DD-WRT).

Look on Broadbandstuff for the Linksys/Sipura SPA1001 - very good ATA.
I use the same router as you with NO one-way audio issues, or port
forwarding requirements. Don't bin it. You could get 3 or 4 SPA1001s
for the price of a WiFi phone - they're also not the most reliable of
devices, by all accounts.

The only pain is that I also have a Sky HD box connected to the existing
phone line.

Disconnect it. No need to have it connected & it won't dial in using
Voip - the modem within the Sky box will only connect at speeds above
those which can be (relatively) reliably achieved over VoIP.

Rather than replace the existing wired extension with an
alternative, it looks like I could use a wireless phone extender
(specifically the one advertised on

For your Sky box? Don't bother.

http://www.netshop.co.uk/productcate...tegoryid=55456, as
most sites claim that alternatives don't work with Sky+ or SkyHD boxes).
Unless, of course, anyone knows differently.

Oh, and is there a way of doing this such that my existing NTL telephone
number could be used with the VOIP provider?

No. Unless it's a BT number that you've ported to ex-NTL.

Old March 10th 07, 04:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Paul Cupis

Jono wrote:
Ian Richardson presented the following explanation :
Oh, and is there a way of doing this such that my existing NTL
telephone number could be used with the VOIP provider?

No. Unless it's a BT number that you've ported to ex-NTL.

Um, there is no reason why a VoIP provider could not port a number from
NTL. You just need to find one which supports it or who would be willing
to setup a porting a agreement with NTL.
Old March 10th 07, 05:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Herman

"Paul Cupis" wrote in message news:[email protected]
Jono wrote:
Ian Richardson presented the following explanation :
Oh, and is there a way of doing this such that my existing NTL telephone
number could be used with the VOIP provider?

No. Unless it's a BT number that you've ported to ex-NTL.

Um, there is no reason why a VoIP provider could not port a number from
NTL. You just need to find one which supports it or who would be willing
to setup a porting a agreement with NTL.

In theory you're right but I think he may be a while searching.

FWIW, my advice is keep the NTL line as a backup until you're happy with
your VoIP set-up and provider and then ditch the phone line if you want to.

Just for your interest though, I spoke to NTL retentions team and they
matched (as far as they could) the Orange deal I had found and so I now have
10MB BB + phone line + 24 hr geo calls for 20 pcm. I use the NTL line as a
backup, only because I once had an issue getting through to 999 on
voip.co.uk. They say they sorted the issue, but you I have no way of
knowing if that is correct until I try next time... If you have a unit with
PSTN fallover (or FXO as Linksys call it) could be a good way to get the
features of VoIP and keep your phone number.

I must get used to calling them VirginMedia. Sounds like it should have
very marginally better customer service...

Old March 10th 07, 06:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Tim

Jono wrote:
Look on Broadbandstuff for the Linksys/Sipura SPA1001 - very good ATA. I
use the same router as you with NO one-way audio issues, or port
forwarding requirements. Don't bin it. You could get 3 or 4 SPA1001s for
the price of a WiFi phone - they're also not the most reliable of
devices, by all accounts.

Except that the SPA-1001 is no more.

Replacement is the PAP2T, which does 2 lines and is only a little bit
more expensive.

Tim
Old March 10th 07, 07:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Tim

Tim wrote:
Replacement is the PAP2T, which does 2 lines and is only a little bit
more expensive.

Or SPA-2002's are still available. Which cost a bit more, but they can
do two simultaneous G.729 calls.

Tim
Old March 10th 07, 07:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

Paul Cupis wrote :
Jono wrote:
Ian Richardson presented the following explanation :
Oh, and is there a way of doing this such that my existing NTL telephone
number could be used with the VOIP provider?

No. Unless it's a BT number that you've ported to ex-NTL.

Um, there is no reason why a VoIP provider could not port a number from NTL.
You just need to find one which supports it or who would be willing to setup
a porting a agreement with NTL.

So the answer's still no.

Old March 10th 07, 07:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

Tim expressed precisely :
Jono wrote:
Look on Broadbandstuff for the Linksys/Sipura SPA1001 - very good ATA. I
use the same router as you with NO one-way audio issues, or port forwarding
requirements. Don't bin it. You could get 3 or 4 SPA1001s for the price of
a WiFi phone - they're also not the most reliable of devices, by all
accounts.

Except that the SPA-1001 is no more.

Replacement is the PAP2T, which does 2 lines and is only a little bit more
expensive.

Tim

Noooooo.

It's not at all the same.

Old March 10th 07, 08:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Tim" wrote in message

Tim wrote:
Replacement is the PAP2T, which does 2 lines and is
only a little bit more expensive.

Or SPA-2002's are still available. Which cost a bit
more, but they can do two simultaneous G.729 calls.

Tim

What if you only want/need one handset..? What I like about the 1001 is
that you can have two totally independent accounts feeding a single phone
or PBX line. I have a 1001 on my speaking clock, it has a Sipgate/PSTN
number (020 7043 1320) and also another number on a private system, an
incoming call on either gets the clock, if in use a caller on either line
gets ring tone until the system is free.

Ivor

Old March 10th 07, 10:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Tim

Jono wrote:
Except that the SPA-1001 is no more.

Replacement is the PAP2T, which does 2 lines and is only a little bit
more expensive.

Noooooo.

It's not at all the same.

Sorry. I should have said, `nearest replacement`.

Tim