Old September 20th 18, 08:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Brown[_2_]

Default Citizens Advice: Millions overcharged for mobile contracts

On 19/09/2018 22:46, bert wrote:
In article , Java Jive
writes
On 19/09/2018 19:06, MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 19/09/2018 18:47, Java Jive wrote:
"About four million people have been charged for mobile phones they
already own, spending 500m extra on contracts, according to
Citizens Advice.

Three of Britain's biggest mobile networks, EE, Three and Vodafone,
continue to charge for handsets even after the cost has been paid off."
*Apart from the fact I've been on PAYG for the last 15 years, they'd
have* a job doing that with me, as the first thing I do when I cancel
anything* is to stop the direct debits.

If I'd remembered to post the link, which I now have, you would have
realised that they're not talking about continuing to deduct payments
from people who have cancelled contracts, they're talking about people
who begin a contract to 'hire-purchase' a phone over a given period,
but whom the network do not move to a SIM only contract once that
period is over, so they are still paying the extra cost of paying for
the phone even though it's been paid for.

Don't these phones have a calendar system so you can set a reminder a
year in advance to tell you your contract is expiring?
I've never entered into such a contract but does it actually state
"hire-purchase" in the contract or is this another attempt to convert
idiots into victims?

Back when *all* mobile phones were seriously expensive and you got to
choose your number from a book that was how it was done. You bought a
contract for minutes and texts with a mobile phone included and
eventually after 2 or 3 years it became yours.

They continue to do it and when your contract is up try to lure you into
having a new phone. However, a lot of older people ignore this being
happy with their existing one and sit on the "paying for a new phone"
deal whilst out of contract. They could move to a SIM only deal at any
time if they bothered to pay any attention to the rules.

Even on a SIM only deal if you aren't talking to customer retention at
least every couple of years then you are still being ripped off.
(just not by quite as much)

--
Regards,
Martin Brown