Old September 20th 18, 10:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

Default Citizens Advice: Millions overcharged for mobile contracts

On Wed, 19 Sep 2018 20:08:46 +0100, MissRiaElaine
wrote:

On 19/09/2018 19:55, Java Jive wrote:

If I'd remembered to post the link, which I now have, you would have
realised that they're not talking about continuing to deduct payments
from people who have cancelled contracts, they're talking about people
who begin a contract to 'hire-purchase' a phone over a given period, but
whom the network do not move to a SIM only contract once that period is
over, so they are still paying the extra cost of paying for the phone
even though it's been paid for.

Ah, that makes sense, sort of. Although my view is that if you really,
really, REALLY want an expensive phone (or an expensive anything else,
come to that) then you save up for it and buy it outright. I managed to
become debt-free three years ago and haven't used any form of credit
since. My partner and I have a savings account that we pay into
regularly every month and what we need (such as a new cooker that we'll
be buying in a month or two) we pay for out of that.

Same here. With the sole exception of a mortgage (which could be said
to be a special case) I've never borrowed money for anything. I only
use a credit card as a kind of "buffer stage" between my bank account
and anybody who might hack my details, and always pay it off in full
every month. If I want something expensive I save up for it first,
which gives me extra time in which to think about how badly I really
want it. Luxuries may make life comfortable, but there is also comfort
to be derived from knowing that you're living off your own money
rather than someone else's.

Rod.

---