Cisco 7940G with voip ??

Old March 11th 07, 05:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Psst

Default Cisco 7940G with voip ??

Hello,
i have bought a used Cisco 7940G which appears to have been used with
an office network. It didnt have a psu with it so it must have been
line powered. I have bought a psu and am trying to configure it to use
with voip via my router/cable connection.

My first problem is that when i go to network config in the settings
menu and press select, i am shown the menu items but with a closed
padlock. I tried the **# buttons to try and unlock but no change
unless im doing something wrong.

The current firmware versions are as follows;

Appload ID P00307020300
bootload id PC0303010100
version 7.2(3.0)

My research tells me that i need to upload the latest sip image from
the cisco website. I have downloaded that file to my pc and then
installed the free solarwinds tftp server software. I have unzipped
all the cisco files in the package and put them in the tftp server
root directory. I then powered off and on the phone but there seems to
be no comms between the tftp server running on my pc and the phone.

Perhaps someone could point me in the right direction?

thanks

joe
Old March 11th 07, 06:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
themgt

Psst wrote:
Hello,
i have bought a used Cisco 7940G which appears to have been used with
an office network. It didnt have a psu with it so it must have been
line powered. I have bought a psu and am trying to configure it to use
with voip via my router/cable connection.

My first problem is that when i go to network config in the settings
menu and press select, i am shown the menu items but with a closed
padlock. I tried the **# buttons to try and unlock but no change
unless im doing something wrong.

Near the bottom of the 'Settings' menu there may be an 'Unlock Config'
option. The default password for this is 'cisco'.
Old March 11th 07, 06:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
alexd

Psst wrote:

Hello,
i have bought a used Cisco 7940G which appears to have been used with
an office network. It didnt have a psu with it so it must have been
line powered. I have bought a psu and am trying to configure it to use
with voip via my router/cable connection.

In at the deep end, eh? I wouldn't recommend a Cisco to a first time home
user.

My first problem is that when i go to network config in the settings
menu and press select, i am shown the menu items but with a closed
padlock. I tried the **# buttons to try and unlock but no change
unless im doing something wrong.

Has the previous owner given you the relevant passwords?

The current firmware versions are as follows;

Appload ID P00307020300
bootload id PC0303010100
version 7.2(3.0)

My research tells me that i need to upload the latest sip image from
the cisco website. I have downloaded that file to my pc and then
installed the free solarwinds tftp server software. I have unzipped
all the cisco files in the package and put them in the tftp server
root directory. I then powered off and on the phone but there seems to
be no comms between the tftp server running on my pc and the phone.

Have you told your phone it needs to use your PC as a TFTP server? I had to
change the options on my DHCP server to get my Mitel handsets to use the
right TFTP server.

Perhaps someone could point me in the right direction?

http://www.trixbox.org/modules/newbb...um.php?forum=3 People are often
struggling with Ciscos in there.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
18:33:11 up 16 days, 22:45, 2 users, load average: 0.56, 0.42, 0.23

Old March 11th 07, 07:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Psst

On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 18:36:21 GMT, TheMgt
wrote:

Psst wrote:
Hello,
i have bought a used Cisco 7940G which appears to have been used with
an office network. It didnt have a psu with it so it must have been
line powered. I have bought a psu and am trying to configure it to use
with voip via my router/cable connection.

My first problem is that when i go to network config in the settings
menu and press select, i am shown the menu items but with a closed
padlock. I tried the **# buttons to try and unlock but no change
unless im doing something wrong.

Near the bottom of the 'Settings' menu there may be an 'Unlock Config'
option. The default password for this is 'cisco'.

Unfortunately there appears to be no menu item for inputting a
password !
Old March 11th 07, 07:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
themgt

wrote:

Psst wrote:
Hello,
i have bought a used Cisco 7940G which appears to have been used with
an office network. It didnt have a psu with it so it must have been
line powered. I have bought a psu and am trying to configure it to use
with voip via my router/cable connection.

My first problem is that when i go to network config in the settings
menu and press select, i am shown the menu items but with a closed
padlock. I tried the **# buttons to try and unlock but no change
unless im doing something wrong.

Near the bottom of the 'Settings' menu there may be an 'Unlock Config'
option. The default password for this is 'cisco'.

Unfortunately there appears to be no menu item for inputting a
password !

What happens when you select 'Unlock Config' ?
Old March 11th 07, 09:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
stephen

"Psst" wrote in message
[...]

admin manual entry about erasing config (from an old version of the Call
Manager manuals, so may not apply)
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...html#wp1020895

if that doesnt work - time to hunt the Cisco site a bit more.

thanks

joe

--
Regards

- replace xyz with ntl

Old March 11th 07, 11:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Psst

wrote:

Psst wrote:
Hello,
i have bought a used Cisco 7940G which appears to have been used with
an office network. It didnt have a psu with it so it must have been
line powered. I have bought a psu and am trying to configure it to use
with voip via my router/cable connection.

My first problem is that when i go to network config in the settings
menu and press select, i am shown the menu items but with a closed
padlock. I tried the **# buttons to try and unlock but no change
unless im doing something wrong.
Near the bottom of the 'Settings' menu there may be an 'Unlock Config'
option. The default password for this is 'cisco'.

Unfortunately there appears to be no menu item for inputting a
password !

What happens when you select 'Unlock Config' ?

There is no unlock config item in the menu...

Old March 12th 07, 11:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Chris

On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 17:39:52 +0000, Psst
wrote:

Can you keep us informed of progress, I intend to do this myself soon

Chris

Old March 12th 07, 05:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Psst

wrote:

Can you keep us informed of progress, I intend to do this myself soon

Chris

Well ive made one discovery already,,if i press in the latch button on
the right hand side toward the top corner then enter **#, the padlock
symbol opens for some functions.