Old October 4th 18, 06:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

Default High speed broadband to become a legal right

Not sure if I've linked to this before, so ...

"High speed broadband to become a legal right.

Universal Service Obligation will deliver high speed broadband across
the UK - Published 20 December 2017

From: Department for Digital, Culture, Media & Sport and The Rt Hon
Karen Bradley MP

The Government has confirmed that universal high speed broadband will be
delivered by a regulatory Universal Service Obligation (USO), giving
everyone in the UK access to speeds of at least 10 Mbps by 2020.

In the summer, we received a proposal from BT to deliver universal
broadband through a voluntary agreement. We welcomed BT's proposal and
have considered this in detail alongside a regulatory approach. We did
not feel the proposal was strong enough for us to take the regulatory
USO off the table, and have therefore decided not to pursue BT's
proposal in favour of providing a legal right to broadband."

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/h...-a-legal-right