Old October 5th 18, 11:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NY

Default High speed broadband to become a legal right

"Java Jive" wrote in message
news
Not sure if I've linked to this before, so ...

"High speed broadband to become a legal right.

Universal Service Obligation will deliver high speed broadband across the
UK - Published 20 December 2017

From: Department for Digital, Culture, Media & Sport and The Rt Hon
Karen Bradley MP

The Government has confirmed that universal high speed broadband will be
delivered by a regulatory Universal Service Obligation (USO), giving
everyone in the UK access to speeds of at least 10 Mbps by 2020.

In the summer, we received a proposal from BT to deliver universal
broadband through a voluntary agreement. We welcomed BT's proposal and
have considered this in detail alongside a regulatory approach. We did not
feel the proposal was strong enough for us to take the regulatory USO off
the table, and have therefore decided not to pursue BT's proposal in
favour of providing a legal right to broadband."

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/h...-a-legal-right

I wonder what they will do about people who are at the end of long phone
lines in rural areas several miles from an exchange. Will they have a
get-out clause like "we don't have to upgrade the phone line if there's 10
Mbps by some other means such as mobile or Virgin, even if it's more
expensive"?

I'm suffering with a line that gets about 1.5 Mbps download and very slow
upload (speedtest.net says it's about 0.1 Mbps). And talking to my
neighbours, they get the same, so it's not just my line that has a bad
joint. I console myself that until a few years ago, there was no hope of
getting ADSL, and the only way to get connected was via dial-up.

I'm looking at buying a new house (where we are at present is a stop-gap
between selling our old house and finding a new one) and a lot in small
towns or suburbs do not yet have FTTC. Some have Virgin, which is great for
speed but also costs a lot more. I think it's the dreaded problem of lines
which are too close to the exchange and so go directly rather than via a
green cabinet that can have FTTC equipment. BT really do need to get their
act together and speed up their installation of green-cabinet equipment
close to the exchange (but far enough away not to cause crosstalk with the
exchange) for all those exchange-only lines.