Old October 5th 18, 03:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

Default High speed broadband to become a legal right

On 05/10/2018 15:13, Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd wrote:
I wonder what they will do about people who are at the end of
long phone lines in rural areas several miles from an exchange.
Will they have a get-out clause like "we don't have to upgrade
the phone line if there's 10 Mbps by some other means such as
mobile or Virgin, even if it's more expensive"?

Yes, maximum free build cost is 3,000 or something, any more and you pay the
balance since the most remote premises may cost more than 40,000. And you may
get wireless broadband initially, not fibre.

And there is no rush, by 2033 for full fibre to all homes and businesses.

There's rather more of a rush in Scotland, however, by 2021 ...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotla...lands-45586744