Old November 1st 18, 10:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
bert

Default Three DD Scam

In article , AnthonyL
writes
On Thu, 1 Nov 2018 09:51:02 +0000, David Wade
wrote:

On 01/11/2018 09:24, Graham J wrote:
CJB wrote:
For some years I used to use a small USB dongle from Three to access
the Internet. I had a contract on a monthly basis for 5GB at 15 -
that was OK for me. Then the damn device kept disconnecting. Payment
was on DD.

So last year I complained and got suckered into a Wifi device again
USB connected. This was on a yearly contract for 17 for 20GB. Again
payment was on DD. The previous DD was supposed to be cancelled by
Three as soon as the new one kicked in.

Earlier this year I checked by bank account and found that Three had
been deducting TWO DDs for months. They hadn't cancelled the first one
as promised.

Contacting Three was a nightmare. I tried their chat to an agent
feature. I tried raising an issue on their complaints page - no-one
phoned back. I tried emailing the HQ for Hutchinson in Scotland. Then
I tried Resolver and TrustPilot - all to no avail. Even Facebook was
useless. Finally the thing that worked was the Customer Service phone
an agent feature - with a senior person who had authority to refund
the overpayments made.

But it was all damn hard work - but I got my money back.

CJB

A very good reason for not using direct debits.* I keep a separate bank
account for such things, so I can close it in the event of this sort of
problem.

Other than that BBC moneybox seems to have some success in resolving
such problems.

Why all this chasing around? The BANK is supposed to sort out hassle
like this!...

Indeed - an Insurance broker was procrastinating about giving me a
refund on a business policy where the wrong premiums had been taken by
Direct Debit. I contacted my bank and the money was in my account
within a couple of days.

That is what the Direct Debit guarantee is about.

If I had been in the wrong the Insurance broker was perfectly free to
pursue the issue through normal means and that is, I understand, the
bank's point of view. They do not want to deter people using Direct
Debits. I've had not a dissimilar experience with a Credit Card
refund for wrong/poor goods supplied. My preference is Credit Cards
first, Direct Debits second for most purchases of goods and supplies.

Yup. CC purchases have the same rights as HP.
--
bert