Old November 2nd 18, 06:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

Default VDSL VLAN tag question

On 02/11/2018 16:51, Graham J wrote:

Using a Vigor 2860 router with WAN1 connected to a VDSL service, it is
necessary to enable the VLAN tag with value=101.

Is it? I have no experience of VDSL specifically, but ...
VLAN = Virtual LAN
.... would not normally be expected to have any relevance to the WAN side
of the router, and, accordingly, in the 2830 the VLAN settings are in
the LAN subsection of the main menu on the LHS of the web configuration
page. Do you really mean VLAN?

Can anybody explain what this actually does?

A VLAN is used to allow different networks over the same hardware,
whether that be cables or WiFi Access points.

Suppose I have two types of people accessing my LAN, regular users who
need to access all the servers and other devices on the LAN, and guest
users who just need to access the internet. You'd set up two VLANs,
which would use different subnets, say 192.168.1.0 and 192.168.2.0, and
thus be isolated from each other. To enable this to happen the 2630 &
2860 routers both allow you to differentiate between VLANs by plugging
them into different LAN ports, but to separate WiFi clients into
separate VLANs, you need to be able to set a VLAN tag according to the
SSID that a given client is accessing by, and I don't believe this is
possible with the WiFi on either the 2630 or the 2860, but it is
possible with DVAP910C access points plugged into either router.

I want to use a Vigor 2830 (which does not support VDSL) so I will
connect its WAN2 port to an Ethernet modem that does support VDSL.
Question: should I set the VLAN tag to 101 on the WAN2 port?

If you have a choice, the 2860 is the more modern and better router, why
do you wish to use the older 2630 model?