Old November 3rd 18, 11:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Green

Default VDSL VLAN tag question

Java Jive wrote:
On 02/11/2018 16:51, Graham J wrote:

Using a Vigor 2860 router with WAN1 connected to a VDSL service, it is
necessary to enable the VLAN tag with value=101.

Is it? I have no experience of VDSL specifically, but ...
VLAN = Virtual LAN
... would not normally be expected to have any relevance to the WAN side
of the router, and, accordingly, in the 2830 the VLAN settings are in
the LAN subsection of the main menu on the LHS of the web configuration
page. Do you really mean VLAN?

Can anybody explain what this actually does?

A VLAN is used to allow different networks over the same hardware,
whether that be cables or WiFi Access points.

Suppose I have two types of people accessing my LAN, regular users who
need to access all the servers and other devices on the LAN, and guest
users who just need to access the internet. You'd set up two VLANs,
which would use different subnets, say 192.168.1.0 and 192.168.2.0, and
thus be isolated from each other. To enable this to happen the 2630 &
2860 routers both allow you to differentiate between VLANs by plugging
them into different LAN ports, but to separate WiFi clients into
separate VLANs, you need to be able to set a VLAN tag according to the
SSID that a given client is accessing by, and I don't believe this is
possible with the WiFi on either the 2630 or the 2860, but it is
possible with DVAP910C access points plugged into either router.

The 2860n can certainly separate WiFi LANs on different SSIDs. In the
VLAN configuration you can assign SSIDs as well a LAN ports to each
VLAN.

--
Chris Green