Old November 3rd 18, 03:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alfred[_2_]

Default VDSL VLAN tag question

Graham J wrote:
Using a Vigor 2860 router with WAN1 connected to a VDSL service, it is
necessary to enable the VLAN tag with value=101.

Can anybody explain what this actually does?

I want to use a Vigor 2830 (which does not support VDSL) so I will
connect its WAN2 port to an Ethernet modem that does support VDSL.
Question: should I set the VLAN tag to 101 on the WAN2 port?

Are you using LEDE/OpenWRT?

I use a similar setup with a BT home hub with OpenWRT and an Openreach
modem for VDSL (FTTC) over othernet connected to the WAN port.

config interface 'wan'
option _orig_ifname 'eth0'
option _orig_bridge 'false'
option ifname 'eth0.2'
option proto 'pppoe'
option username '
option password 'XXXX'
option ipv6 'auto'

I don't need to set any other special option.

I think the 101 tag is only when you use the internal modem for ADSL
(possibly also for VDSL). For the setup with internal modem I used
network.wan.ifname='ptm0.101'

For configuring the hardest thing was guessing the WAN interface name
'eth0.2'. 'ifconfig -a' in the LEDE CLI didn't show it, but eth0.2
appeared on the web LEDE portal for WAN.