Old November 8th 18, 12:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
NY

Default 5G will let users ditch fixed-line home broadband, says Three

"Java Jive" wrote in message
news
5G hyping getting into its stride ...

"5G will let users ditch fixed-line home broadband, says Three"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-46127712

Actually, out here in northern Scotland, 4G could already make my landline
redundant if only there was a suitably priced plan that gave me unlimited
or nearly so download limits, but AFAIAA there isn't.

Yes there are two critical things that are needed before you can even
*think* about ditching your landline:

- good coverage of mobile signal
- affordable tariff, comparable with what you would pay for landline
broadband

At present we have neither. Mobile coverage, even for simple phone calls,
let alone fast data, is patchy where I live. Mobile data tariffs exist, but
they still tend to be limited in terms of how much data you can access per
month, and they tend to be more expensive.

But this will change.

I just hope that the phone companies don't blow all their money upgrading
mobile/data coverage for the people who already have a fairly fast
connection, and neglect the people in more rural areas who can't even get
100% reliable phone call and slow data coverage.