FritzBox Annex B in UK

Old March 14th 07, 08:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Herman

Default FritzBox Annex B in UK

Something interesting I just learnt in be.telecom (assuming there is nobody
here who knows differently).

It was stated that the Annex A/B refers to the style of ADSL. This means
that you can use Annex B devices in England so long as you have either a
cable modem or separate ADSL modem or router with ethernet port.

The reason why this could be interesting to some people here is that the
prices of Annex B in Germany are far lower, and there are many more
second-hand ones too (7050 on e-bay.de yesterday for 53 Euros + p&p with two
hours to go). Not a bad saving if you don't need the ADSL modem part of it.

Can anyone corroborate/contradict this?

Old March 14th 07, 10:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Nigel

Hi,

Does any one knows whether you can do an English firmware update on a German
Fritzbox??- so you get the English menus??

Has any one done it?

Thanks

Nigel

--

Winter and Summer holidays in the alps!!!
www.austrianfamilyholidays.co.uk

Old March 14th 07, 10:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 23:00:48 +0100, "Nigel" wrote:

Hi,

Does any one knows whether you can do an English firmware update on a German
Fritzbox??- so you get the English menus??

Has any one done it?

Thanks

Nigel

I don't have one but afaik it is possible to reflash from A to B or B
to A.. However, that might invalidate the warranty.

The difference between A and B is the range of spectrum. That used
for 'A' is wider than that for 'B'. Thus the degredation for 'A' is
will be less than 'B' over a given distance, or, put another way 'A'
is better than 'B' if the subscriber is a long way from the exchange.
In a nutshell we have the best system.
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old March 14th 07, 10:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Herman

"Brian A" wrote in message
On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 23:00:48 +0100, "Nigel" wrote:

Hi,

Does any one knows whether you can do an English firmware update on a
German
Fritzbox??- so you get the English menus??

Has any one done it?

Thanks

Nigel

I don't have one but afaik it is possible to reflash from A to B or B
to A.. However, that might invalidate the warranty.

The difference between A and B is the range of spectrum. That used
for 'A' is wider than that for 'B'. Thus the degredation for 'A' is
will be less than 'B' over a given distance, or, put another way 'A'
is better than 'B' if the subscriber is a long way from the exchange.
In a nutshell we have the best system.
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

Assuming you don't want to change Annex type at the same time as language, I
notice that there is an English version of Annex B, which I guess should
work AND keep your original warranty, but it would be best to check with
them first as the version numbers are different.

Old March 15th 07, 09:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Henk van Andel

"Herman" schreef in bericht
Something interesting I just learnt in be.telecom (assuming there is
nobody here who knows differently).

It was stated that the Annex A/B refers to the style of ADSL. This means
that you can use Annex B devices in England so long as you have either a
cable modem or separate ADSL modem or router with ethernet port.

The reason why this could be interesting to some people here is that the
prices of Annex B in Germany are far lower, and there are many more
second-hand ones too (7050 on e-bay.de yesterday for 53 Euros + p&p with
two hours to go). Not a bad saving if you don't need the ADSL modem part
of it.

Can anyone corroborate/contradict this?

--

You are 100% correct, it is possible to bypass the ADSL modem part of a
FritzBox and connect it via LAN to the network. In fact, you than have a

There is a disadvantage, though. The FritzBox connects VoIP when using the
ADSL modem with the outside of the network. No firewall/NAT problems and QoS
(Quality of Service) works. Behind your (cable) modem/router, you depend on
the mercy of the modem/router. Most problems can be solved bu using a STUN
server. This option only appears in the FritzBox when using it as an ATA.

The German FritzBoxes are speaking German. Not many people in England. do.

Reflashing from German to English is possible for a number of FritzBoxes.
But it is not so easy. I have done it many times, but I do not want to
explain how because I am sure that many persons will loose their boxes if
something goes wrong. In fact, I better say "when" than "if". And if
(errrrr.... when) you do that, you loose your 5 yr warranty. In fact, the
box can still function as a nice paperweight. FritzBoxes have different
colours (red, blue, black), so be sure to select one in the colour you
prefer :-).

But if (when?) you do it anyway, than change the Annex B to A at the same
time and use it in England as an Annex A ADSL modem. According to the
manufacturer, this would not be possible because of a difference in
frequency spectrum. I am not so sure that this is true, to me it seems that
the hardware is identical and I never experienced any problems with modding
B to A.

Grz Henk van Andel