The Pre-Dial 01635 Number

Old March 15th 07, 10:03 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.voip
News Reader

Default The Pre-Dial 01635 Number

Hi,

Can anyone confirm what the dial pattern or dialling rules are for this
service?

I.e. for example, for a US destination, 1 234 1234567

.... is the prefix 001, 00, 011, etc.?

And if dialling a UK destination (e.g. 0845), do you directly dial the 0845
number or use the full international format (e.g. presumably some prefix
then 44845 123456, etc.).

Many thanks and in advance.

Best wishes,

News Reader

P.s. Please report on success rate (both of reaching the service [busy, fast
busy, etc.] and completion of a through dialled call), quality, etc.

Old March 15th 07, 10:57 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.voip
The Last Outpost

On Mar 15, 10:03 am, "News Reader" wrote:

Can anyone confirm what the dial pattern or dialling rules are for this
service?

I.e. for example, for a US destination, 1 234 1234567

... is the prefix 001, 00, 011, etc.?

001, for example if the number is +1 (415) 767 2676 you would dial
0014157672676.

And if dialling a UK destination (e.g. 0845), do you directly dial the 0845
number or use the full international format (e.g. presumably some prefix
then 44845 123456, etc.).

Directly, for example 08457484950

P.s. Please report on success rate (both of reaching the service [busy, fast
busy, etc.] and completion of a through dialled call), quality, etc.

Very Good quality, sometimes busy in evenings (get equipment engaged
tone). Generally OK.

HTH

Old March 15th 07, 12:42 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.voip
Allan Gould

News Reader wrote:
Hi,

[snip]

P.s. Please report on success rate (both of reaching the service [busy, fast
busy, etc.] and completion of a through dialled call), quality, etc.

Works pretty well for me, especially for those pesky 0845 numbers that
don't seem to have a geographic equivalent
Old March 16th 07, 01:09 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.voip
News Reader

"News Reader" wrote in message

Hi,

Can anyone confirm what the dial pattern or dialling rules are for this
service?

I.e. for example, for a US destination, 1 234 1234567

... is the prefix 001, 00, 011, etc.?

And if dialling a UK destination (e.g. 0845), do you directly dial the
0845 number or use the full international format (e.g. presumably some
prefix then 44845 123456, etc.).

Many thanks and in advance.

Best wishes,

News Reader

P.s. Please report on success rate (both of reaching the service [busy,
fast busy, etc.] and completion of a through dialled call), quality, etc.

Hi,

Many thanks for all your posts.

I have had great success with this now. I think the dial routes I may have
been trying (inbound) were a bit flaky - some redirected to NU / engaged
type signal as unacceptable inbound dial route and others when prompted to
enter the destination were not passing DTMF accurately / successfully. No
problems now... very good... long may it last.

Thanks again and best wishes,

News Reader

Old March 16th 07, 01:43 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.voip
News Reader

"News Reader" wrote in message

"News Reader" wrote in message

Hi,

Can anyone confirm what the dial pattern or dialling rules are for this
service?

SNIP

News Reader

Hi,

Just out of interest / curiosity / idle thought.... any idea how they can
afford this?

Say inbound termination payment (received by them of) 0.25p/minute (say at
most 0.5p/minute but probably actually more like =0.1p/minute!); outbound
termination to destination of say an average 0.2p/minute (highly [I would
hazard] competitive wholesale international termination rate to prime
destinations [and I would have to imagine more like an absolute minimum of
0.5p/minute for 0845 [certainly at peak rate - and even if they were using
their own "subsidiary" / "partner" 0845 handling / termination service / arm
or wing]) - doesn't leave much cat swinging room (or / if any?).

Further, I can only imagine a scenario such as their operating inbound
termination services (with revenue to them), outbound termination (with
revenue to them) and passing the call through one or more of their own
("virtual" - type) through dial routings (such as through one or more of
their own 0845 type dial through services [taking revenue on all sides of
the call handling transaction]) to boost their revenue (through arbitrage
against "incorrect" termination to origination rates of geographic to
revenue sharing numbers such as 04845). Anyhow, in any event, it is all good
and wonderful - congratulations and well done pre-dial!!!... and praise for
the platform - seems to have good capacity and resilience .

Any thoughts input, etc. welcomed.

Best wishes,

News Reader

P.s. If the above isn't very clear... for example... taking an inbound call
on 01635 terminating to France landline:

Simplest / Hardest to Imagine the Call Revenues Working:: Caller -- Inbound
to Pre-Dial 01635 Access # [Termination Revenue for Pre-Dial] -- Outbound
Termination to France [Termination Charge to Pre-Dial]

More Complicated / Convincing Revenue Working Scenario:: Caller -- Inbound
to Pre-Dial 01635 Access # [Termination Revenue for Pre-Dial A] -- Outbound
Termination to a Pre-Dial owned and operated "Pseudo / Semi Internal"
Revenue Sharing Number (e.g. 0844 / 0845) [Revenue from Revenue Sharing
Number {for Pre-Dial C} and Termination {for Pre-Dial B} and a Charge for
Termination {lesser - to carrier [e.g. BT] made up from the difference
between Pre-Dial A Termination Cost and Pre-Dial B&C revenues}] -- Outbound
Termination to France [Termination Charge to Pre-Dial]

This might work in theory if you can get / balance your rates right. I.e.
arbitrage against termination and revenue rates.

In short: caller calls in to the 01635 number, pre-dial receives money for
taking the call; they then route the call on to one of their "own" 0844
revenue sharing numbers [meaning they only pay the middle slice of charges
{after deduction of their own part of outbound revenue from carrying their
now their 01635 call which is on the line [us the caller] and after inbound
revenue from the call being connected to "their" 0844 revenue sharing number
[the operation of which actually as good as costs them nothing {the call was
physically on their network at the 01635 part of the call and is back with
them at the 0844 part of the call}]} - call then free to be onward bound
routed to the callers chosen destination at the lowest rate pre-dial can
find / manage ... something like that I think / think makes sense (would
seem necessary from my understanding of rates in the telco wholesale
carrying / termination world and rates - i.e. the first scenario [straight
from 01635 inbound to outbound final destination] does not seem like it
would generate enough revenue [at least not for the 0845 termination charges
they would have to pay when callers are dialling those destinations] // i.e.
playing both sides of the origination / termination refunding / co-revenue
sharing process [which in theory should leave a wafer thin payment to the
middle transit provider or negative! {i.e. BT or whichever other wholesale
operator})...? [I think this kind of operation would probably need or
require {or perhaps should / might} arms length or separate organisations /
partner or sister organisations... etc. each handling a different side /
part of the call and revenues / payments transactions {as my understanding
is that otherwise if all done by one organisation is or would / might be
seen as a bit against the "rules" / principles... i.e. if all done by one
organisation I think they are supposed to net off {offset revenues and costs
accordingly across a routing transaction - not "charge" [take co-sharing
revenue] for both / all!} and / or you are probably not supposed to pass
calls on and off your own network repeatedly in the same call to increase /
generate revenue for yourself / your own network].

I shouldn't think they actually run things through an intermediary
callthrough type step; perhaps they have just set-up or found some very
judicious origination, carrying and termination charging / revenue sharing /
refund routes or routing methods.