about asterisk

Old March 15th 07, 08:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
robert

Default about asterisk

i'm very new about Asterisk, but i hope with your help to learn a
lot.

Some friends just invited me to use my SPA2002ER with asterisk:
something is not very clear to me: is Asterisk an online PBX? Do i
have to install it on my pc? DO i have to leave my pc turned on 24h/
7 ?

thanks

Old March 15th 07, 10:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
alexd

robert wrote:

i'm very new about Asterisk, but i hope with your help to learn a
lot.

Some friends just invited me to use my SPA2002ER with asterisk:
something is not very clear to me:

is Asterisk an online PBX?

There are many companies selling hosted Asterisk online, eg Sipgate

Do i have to install it on my pc?

If you want to use it, installation is the best router. You can run it
inside [for example] VMWare Player, however.

DO i have to leave my pc turned on 24h/7 ?

If you want to use it 24/7, yes. You can get a cut-down installation onto an
OpenWRT router.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
22:11:29 up 21 days, 2:24, 2 users, load average: 0.64, 0.86, 0.64

Old March 15th 07, 10:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham

"robert" wrote in message
ups.com...
i'm very new about Asterisk, but i hope with your help to learn a
lot.

Some friends just invited me to use my SPA2002ER with asterisk:
something is not very clear to me: is Asterisk an online PBX? Do i
have to install it on my pc? DO i have to leave my pc turned on 24h/
7 ?

thanks

Asterisk (or Trixbox) generally runs on a dedicated machine,
think of it as like an office telephone system, a box on the wall
costing hundreds or thousands of GBP. Your Asterisk box
will cost you next to nothing because you can use a low
spec machine that people discard,and, it is likely to have more
features than the office phone system.

At our, (well my) level, the outside lines will
be virtual; voip accounts via the internet.
What most of us want is real telephones as the extentions,
You can get PCI cards that connect direct to telephones but
they are expensive, so what most of us do is use one or more
ATAs. So typically your Asterisk box and your ATA both
connect to your router via Ethernet Asterisk looks out towards
the router's gateway and the ATA looks towards the Asterisk
box.

If you have an old Pentium 2 with 250meg of RAM and a NIC
doing nothing, download from here
http://sourceforge.net/projects/asteriskathome/
burn the ISO to a cd-r, stick it in the drive, and an
hour or so later you will have Linux and Asterisk installed
(practically no user intervention required)
Then there are plenty of us here who can help you
program it.
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Old March 16th 07, 01:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
robert

On Mar 15, 6:19 pm, "Graham" wrote:
"robert" wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

Thanks Graham,
really helpful.

Do you know any company who offer free Asterisk hosting (like for 1
account)?

thanks

Old March 16th 07, 02:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Desk Rabbit

robert wrote:
On Mar 15, 6:19 pm, "Graham" wrote:
"robert" wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

Why on earth would you want and entire PBX for one extension?????
Old March 16th 07, 02:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Desk Rabbit" wrote in message

robert wrote:

[snip]

Thanks Graham,
really helpful.

Do you know any company who offer free Asterisk hosting
(like for 1 account)?

Why on earth would you want and entire PBX for one
extension?????

He said one account, not one extension..!

Ivor

Old March 16th 07, 02:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Desk Rabbit

robert wrote:

[snip]

Thanks Graham,
really helpful.

Do you know any company who offer free Asterisk hosting
(like for 1 account)?

Why on earth would you want and entire PBX for one
extension?????

He said one account, not one extension..!

How many accounts can you assign to an extension in Asterisk or
extensions to accounts for that matter?
Old March 16th 07, 05:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham

robert wrote:

[snip]

Thanks Graham,
really helpful.

Do you know any company who offer free Asterisk hosting
(like for 1 account)?
Why on earth would you want and entire PBX for one
extension?????

He said one account, not one extension..!

How many accounts can you assign to an extension in Asterisk or extensions
to accounts for that matter?

There are no limits for either.
Simultaneous call handling is a different matter.
I have no problems with 3 concurrent high quality (u-law or
a-law) calls.

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Old March 16th 07, 09:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
RH

Do you know any company who offer free Asterisk hosting (like for 1
account)?

thanks

What functions of the PBX do you exactly need? if your needs are modest you
may find a new ATA or using advanced functions of yours or other VOIP
providers does what you need

If it is only the ability to have Interactive Voice messages or divert to
mobile etc on one number the probably easiest to go for a company like
voipfone who charge you only for what you need, and is simple and cheap to
setup. If you wanting to link multiple voip accounts together for your own
personal use from one VOIP device it is probably best and cheapest to to buy
account ATA. Full hosting of a PBX usually only of benefit for multiple
extensions/users spread over multiple locations.

Old March 17th 07, 03:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Hongtian

Asterisk runs on linux platform. If your computer is installed MS-
windows, I suggest you to try miniSipServer which is a SIP&STUN server
and it is a green software.