Revenues, Charges and Terminology in Telco Charging, Revenue Sharing / Refunding and Origination as a Network Carrier / Operator

Old March 16th 07, 01:59 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.voip
News Reader

Default Revenues, Charges and Terminology in Telco Charging, Revenue Sharing / Refunding and Origination as a Network Carrier / Operator

** (Re-posted to include uk.telecom.voip - I meant to include that group -
insights into the nature and charges / revenues on the VoIP side would be /
is interesting to) **

"News Reader" wrote in message

Hi,

I am hoping someone can clarify on terminology and provide some insight on
rates for revenue from termination and origination and charges for
transit.

For example, as I understand it, if someone calls from Virgin Media,
Virgin Media will receive a proportion of call revenue for carrying the
call up to the boundary of their network (where they pass the call to for
example BT wholesale for onward routing / termination [e.g. if the caller
is calling an 0800 number Virgin Media will receive some of the payment to
the terminating operator for the part of the call carried by their
network] [if a normal call - e.g. landline call to the UK - Virgin Media
would charge the caller e.g. 1p/minute and then pay a termination provider
for that part of the call beyond their network boundary - for example BT
at say 0.5p/minute]). Likewise, I understand they receive a proportion of
revenue if someone calls a Virgin Media phone for that part of the call
they have carried into / on their network (i.e. from where it comes onto
the Virgin Media network at its boundary [e.g. from BT] through to the
destination phone on the Virgin Media network).

Can someone confirm the terminology for each part / side (or parts /
sides) of the routing transaction (both in terms of the call handling /
routing / process and the same for the revenue and charging sides of the
operation)? Also information about rates for each part of the process
(approximate or average) would be great or interesting .

Many thanks and best wishes,

News Reader