Number portability again

Old March 16th 07, 08:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Joe Harrison

Default Number portability again

I want to get rid of my NTL line as it's costing me 12.50 a month but I do
want to keep the number (itself originally ported to NTL from BT.)

Sipgate help pages say you can't port to them (why?) so does anyone know of
any other VOIP provider who will accept the number? I heard Gradwell might.
Any other ideas how I can do this?

Joe

Old March 16th 07, 09:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Herman

"Joe Harrison" wrote in message
I want to get rid of my NTL line as it's costing me 12.50 a month but I do
want to keep the number (itself originally ported to NTL from BT.)

Sipgate help pages say you can't port to them (why?) so does anyone know
of any other VOIP provider who will accept the number? I heard Gradwell
might. Any other ideas how I can do this?

Joe

Gradwell couldn't do NTL numbers back in August last year (and I don't know
any VoIP providers that could) but this might have started to change.
Possibly worth asking again.

Old March 16th 07, 09:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

Herman expressed precisely :
"Joe Harrison" wrote in message
I want to get rid of my NTL line as it's costing me 12.50 a month but I do
want to keep the number (itself originally ported to NTL from BT.)

Sipgate help pages say you can't port to them (why?) so does anyone know of
any other VOIP provider who will accept the number? I heard Gradwell might.
Any other ideas how I can do this?

Joe

Gradwell couldn't do NTL numbers back in August last year (and I don't know
any VoIP providers that could) but this might have started to change.
Possibly worth asking again.

Erm, it's not an NTL number. However, the OP might find he has to port
it back to BT to allow a VoIP company, such as gradwell.com,
voipfone.co.uk or voip.co.uk, to actually port it.

Old March 16th 07, 10:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Herman

"Jono" wrote in message
. ..
Herman expressed precisely :
"Joe Harrison" wrote in message
I want to get rid of my NTL line as it's costing me 12.50 a month but I
do want to keep the number (itself originally ported to NTL from BT.)

Sipgate help pages say you can't port to them (why?) so does anyone know
of any other VOIP provider who will accept the number? I heard Gradwell
might. Any other ideas how I can do this?

Joe

Gradwell couldn't do NTL numbers back in August last year (and I don't
know any VoIP providers that could) but this might have started to
change. Possibly worth asking again.

Erm, it's not an NTL number. However, the OP might find he has to port it
back to BT to allow a VoIP company, such as gradwell.com, voipfone.co.uk
or voip.co.uk, to actually port it.

Good point. Hadn't spotted it was an ex-BT number. In that case, any
provider doing BT number porting should be able to do it.

Old March 16th 07, 10:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Joe Harrison

Thanks. I've mailed both Gradwell and Sipgate to ask if either of them are
on for it.

Old March 16th 07, 11:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

Joe Harrison wrote on 16/03/2007 :
Thanks. I've mailed both Gradwell and Sipgate to ask if either of them are on
for it.

Why Sipgate, when they don't have a porting agreement, even with BT,
let alone NTL?

Both voip.co.uk & voipfone have a very good reputation, in addition to
gradwell.

Old March 17th 07, 02:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Paul Cupis

Jono wrote:
Herman submitted this idea :

Erm, it's not an NTL number. However, the OP might find he has to
port it back to BT to allow a VoIP company, such as gradwell.com,
voipfone.co.uk or voip.co.uk, to actually port it.

Good point. Hadn't spotted it was an ex-BT number. In that case, any
provider doing BT number porting should be able to do it.

Not necessarily.

In what situation would they not be able to port the number from BT?
Old March 17th 07, 07:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Herman

"Jono" wrote in message
. ..
Herman submitted this idea :

Erm, it's not an NTL number. However, the OP might find he has to port
it back to BT to allow a VoIP company, such as gradwell.com,
voipfone.co.uk or voip.co.uk, to actually port it.

Good point. Hadn't spotted it was an ex-BT number. In that case, any
provider doing BT number porting should be able to do it.

Not necessarily.

I did say *should*. But why couldn't they do it? I didn't think there was
anything less than a 99% chance of success???

I go with your recommendations of VoIP provider, but it seems to me that OP
should consider what VoIP provider he wants and then ask them the question.
If he just wants to hold the number, it is a question of cost only. If he
wants to use the number for inbound as well then it is quality of service as
well.

As it happens, I would endorse the recommendation of voip.co.uk for either
of these scenarios in a residential set-up. Gradwell are also highly
thought of by people in this group, particularly for business-grade, but
they are more pricey. Peter G may even be along in a tick with some advice.

Old March 17th 07, 07:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Herman

"Jono" wrote in message
. ..
Joe Harrison wrote on 16/03/2007 :
Thanks. I've mailed both Gradwell and Sipgate to ask if either of them
are on for it.

Why Sipgate, when they don't have a porting agreement, even with BT, let
alone NTL?

Both voip.co.uk & voipfone have a very good reputation, in addition to
gradwell.

I have to agree. My experience of Sipgate is cheap, but not reliably
cheerful. If quality is not really important to you, then by all means
choose Sipgate and it may be that you have a service that completely suits
you. However remember that there are others with better reputations out
there with equivalent costs. voip.co.uk for example, but I am sure there
are others as well.

Message to Ivor/Ron: please do not hijack this thread with petty squabbles.
Helpful comments ONLY!