music on hold

Old March 17th 07, 01:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
keymaster

Default music on hold

Hi
Is there such a thing as a music on hold server out there for free or cheap?
thanks
Roy

Old March 17th 07, 08:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Gordon Henderson

In article ,
keymaster wrote:
Hi
Is there such a thing as a music on hold server out there for free or cheap?
thanks

You can download astrerisk and get some mp3/gsm/wav files which are
royalty free and serve them yourself, or if you look hard enough you
can find others on the 'net that are royalty free.

Connecting (over the internet?) to a server which is streaming music on
hold, while not am impossibility to do is an "interesting concept" IMO ...

Gordon
Old March 17th 07, 08:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

Gordon Henderson formulated on Saturday :
In article ,
keymaster wrote:
Hi
Is there such a thing as a music on hold server out there for free or cheap?
thanks

You can download astrerisk and get some mp3/gsm/wav files which are
royalty free and serve them yourself, or if you look hard enough you
can find others on the 'net that are royalty free.

Connecting (over the internet?) to a server which is streaming music on
hold, while not am impossibility to do is an "interesting concept" IMO ...

Gordon

It can be quite effective. Except - it consumes bandwidth.

My asterisk server can use my Slim Server to play BGM/MOH. One step
further is to use the Slim Server to play streaming music over the
internet. You don't need a Slim Player to use the Slim Server, by the
way.

Old March 17th 07, 09:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
keymaster

. ..
keymaster wrote:
Hi
Is there such a thing as a music on hold server out there for free or
cheap?
thanks

You can download astrerisk and get some mp3/gsm/wav files which are
royalty free and serve them yourself, or if you look hard enough you
can find others on the 'net that are royalty free.

Connecting (over the internet?) to a server which is streaming music on
hold, while not am impossibility to do is an "interesting concept" IMO

Gordon

It can be quite effective. Except - it consumes bandwidth.

My asterisk server can use my Slim Server to play BGM/MOH. One step
further is to use the Slim Server to play streaming music over the
internet. You don't need a Slim Player to use the Slim Server, by the way.

Hi
ah, thanks - while I was with Voipfone they had me add a line in the menu
for music on hold server which was something like Snom.moh.com or something.
In my voip ignorance I added this, but didnt work with my present provider.
thanks again
Roy

Old March 17th 07, 12:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Pete @ www.GymRatZ.co.uk

keymaster wrote:

Hi
ah, thanks - while I was with Voipfone they had me add a line in the menu
for music on hold server which was something like Snom.moh.com or something.
In my voip ignorance I added this, but didnt work with my present provider.
thanks again
Roy

I stumbled across voipfone music on hold accidentally when trying to
transfer calls internally.
As soon as I hit the R button on the phone I was greeted by Music.
I presume it was from voipfone and not my dect phone.

Pete
Old March 17th 07, 12:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

keymaster wrote:
Hi
Is there such a thing as a music on hold server out there for free or cheap?
thanks

You can download astrerisk and get some mp3/gsm/wav files which are
royalty free and serve them yourself, or if you look hard enough you
can find others on the 'net that are royalty free.

Connecting (over the internet?) to a server which is streaming music on
hold, while not am impossibility to do is an "interesting concept" IMO ...

Gordon

It can be quite effective. Except - it consumes bandwidth.

My asterisk server can use my Slim Server to play BGM/MOH. One step
further is to use the Slim Server to play streaming music over the
internet. You don't need a Slim Player to use the Slim Server, by the
way.

Hi Jono, Can you use the Slim server software to stream Pandora?

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old March 17th 07, 12:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

Brian A formulated on Saturday :

Hi Jono, Can you use the Slim server software to stream Pandora?

I have no idea. What's Pandora?

Old March 17th 07, 10:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 12:39:07 GMT, Jono
wrote:

Brian A formulated on Saturday :

Hi Jono, Can you use the Slim server software to stream Pandora?

I have no idea. What's Pandora?

http://www.pandora.com
It is a personal radio system. You can have several personal channels
to suit your mood.
You enter either the title of some music or an Artist that you like.
It will start to play music of a similar type. You can add more titles
and artists and give the 'thumbs up' or 'thumbs down' to any
particular tune that is played. It learns your musical taste.
So, for example: I enter 'Sandstorm' - it asks me if that is Sandstorm
by Darude - I say yes and it saves that. Then I enter 'Paul Van Dyk'
and it adds that ...and so on. Eventually you'll hear the tunes you
have entered but among others that it thinks are similar.
The music is originally evaluated by professional musicians - not a
computer.
You can try it out without joining but if you like it you have to
register - it is free but you have to be in the U.S.... google a
suitable U.S. Zip Code and enter it.
Enjoy it while you can...the much hated RIAA are set to charge on line
radio stations so much that many will have to close - Pandora might be
included.

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old March 18th 07, 06:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ian Smith

Brian A wrote:

Hi Jono, Can you use the Slim server software to stream Pandora?

Slim Devices were advertising Pandora a few months ago, but I can't
find whether it was the Squeezebox player that connects directly or
through Slimserver.

Slimserver will stream BBC (using AlienBBC plugin), RadioIO,
Live365, Shoutcast and Radiotime. You can also enter any URL to
'tune' a new station.

The answer is - try it. It is a free download and you can use
Softsqueeze as a player (also a free download).

regards, Ian
Old March 18th 07, 08:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 18:38:09 +0000, Ian Smith
wrote:

Brian A wrote:

Hi Jono, Can you use the Slim server software to stream Pandora?

Slim Devices were advertising Pandora a few months ago, but I can't
find whether it was the Squeezebox player that connects directly or
through Slimserver.

Slimserver will stream BBC (using AlienBBC plugin), RadioIO,
Live365, Shoutcast and Radiotime. You can also enter any URL to
'tune' a new station.

The answer is - try it. It is a free download and you can use
Softsqueeze as a player (also a free download).

regards, Ian

Thanks for the info. Ian. All this is a long way off topic I know.
I was hoping I might be able to stream Pandora and pick it up in a
browser - I have a Netgem iPlayer, too much to hope for I think, - if
you've not seen the iPlayer it is a DTT Set Top Box that can link to
the Net and display Web Pages and play MP3s from the Net. I have
streamed my own music, from my computer, successfully but not anything
like Pandora. Currently I'm looking into MythTV. If anyone reading
this wants to know about that watch Dan and Kevin's video on it at
http://www.revision3.com/systm
but it ain't as easy as they make out.
Also some videos on youtube.com

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.